• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 how to make bent trim

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

A27 how to make bent trim

Post by rnummi »

Any ideas on how to make the pilothouse exterior trim corner? Mine was missing this piece. Don: this is a pic of my next door neighbor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A27 how to make bent trim

Post by kerrye »

Steam and bend it?
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

You will note that it drops an inch or two to meet the pilothouse trim strip. I'm just curious to know if anyone has replaced these. I think the boats I've seen so far have dropped the trim altogether and faired the Piolthouse fiberglass into the cabin (and for those folks: you don't have EM still laying around do you?). I'm wondering if anyone came up with a trim alternative.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

From sanding these pieces they appear to be a thin laminate of multiple layers of teak. That might be hard to find and bend.

If I was going to replace them here's what I'd do. Take a 1/2" thick teak board and cut it the width of the trim. Then I'd cut the board in sections, with a mitered edge, working my way around the radius of the pilothouse corner. Then I'd epoxy the mitered edges together creating one "bent" piece made up of 2-3 mitered angles. Then you could cut the trim to shape. And sand or grind it to remove the mittered edge. If your miteres are tight enough you'll barely see the joinery.

An alternative would be PVC trim, painted. The radius of the corner is done with a heat gun.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I did make new ones, I formed a bending jig out of ply, cut a bunch of teak strips (thin about 1/16" on my bandsaw and laminated up two blanks. Then I bandsawed out the shape to provide the "drop down" that rnummi mentioned in his post.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Other than carving one out of a solid block of teak, I think Jay's laminating solution is your best bet

As you noted Rick, my boat doesn't have that teak trim at all. I suspect it was probably once there, but it was all gone before I bought the boat. Another difference between pre-production and production boats - On my boat, the pilothouse was carefully shaped so it sits down flush with the deck all the way around, so all I have is an 1/8th inch crack filled with 5200, while on your boat, you can stick your fingers between the deck and the pilothouse in many places. You might consider filling those large voids with some epoxy mixture with micro-balloons so you'll have a solid place for the screws holding the teak

BTW - I met the TowBoat US operator in slip #1 and he's been looking after your neighbors boat for some time. He's trying hard to get the guy to sell it to him, as it's obvious he's never going to do anything with it. The neighbor told him it was "Ford Lehman powered' and I told him that was very unlikely, so we went aboard and checked - The same 4D61 as all the early boats came with. The 'value' of the boat went down quite a bit in his eyes right then . . . . he had never heard of a Peugeot Lehman (and evidently, neither had it's owner) so in addition to all of the hull to deck joint repairs that boat needs, the TowBoat guy added a repower to his future plans. I told him there were probably more of those Peugeots in use worldwide than the Ford tractor engines he was hoping to find, but he wasn't impressed

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks guys. I think I'll give the lamination option a try. The PVC option looks promising too. Don: I probably am going to give fairing a shot. Worst case scenario is the trim strips cover my amateur fairing job. Inre slip #4, it's sad to see a perfectly restorable boat left to rot. That being the case however..... It is a source of spare parts! Maybe owner would like to part out the carcass. I will certainly explore that option. What are the odds of renting a slip in a 500 boat marina right next to another A27?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”