• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Advice for Fuel filter change

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Advice for Fuel filter change

Post by sweetwater »

Well, Im at the end of my first season with my 28 and am going to change my filters. Can someone please give me a step by step for changing the primary (racor 900) and secondary filters. Went to the Mac Boring class and they said I only needed to pump the pump on the secondary to clear the lines of air... did not even have to open lines. I was even told to install outboard style fuel bulb in line between tank and primary... But where would the air go when pumped?
A step by step from someone who did this successfully would be great.. Thanks
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Advice for Fuel filter change

Post by Russell »

On a Cummins depressing the thumb pump fills the secondary filter and the excess air and fuel returns to the fuel tank. My mechanic told me to put the filter on empty and use the pump to fill it. If you accidentally get some dirt in it when trying to fill it there is nothing between it and the injector pump. When changing the Racor I shut off the fuel at the tank, open the lid and remove the old filter slowley to let it drip. Then put it into a plastic bag or bucket. Put in the new filter and top up with diesel. Tighten the lid and turn the fuel tank lever to open. I shut off the tank while changing the spin-on secondary too.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Actually you should be changing filters at the BEGINING of the season. Racor elements lose their water separating ability (per their website info).
If you are careful to not lose any fuel out of the Racor when you pull the old element, then you won't need to do anything there. Make SURE the seal on the lid is clean and the "T handle nut" is tight. If you make an air leak there your engine will run for about 10-15 minutes then stall. Now you have to bleed everything from scratch. Good practice, but not good fun.
For that reason I always idle for 20 minutes or so at the dock after a filter change.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks for the help guys. I will wait till spring. Is it the norm to not fill the secondary first due to possible dirt getting past it? If I leave it empty do I just have to use the primer bulb on the secondary or do i need to open the fuel line to het the air out as i prime it?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

sweetwater wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I will wait till spring. Is it the norm to not fill the secondary first due to possible dirt getting past it? If I leave it empty do I just have to use the primer bulb on the secondary or do i need to open the fuel line to het the air out as i prime it?
I would think there is a bleed screw on the top of the filter housing. Never saw one without a bleed screw, but then again I never worked on a Yanmar. Pump the lift pump or primer bulb to fill the filter until solid fuel comes out of the bleed screw, then close that screw.
You should be good to go.
Any minor amount of trapped air should self bleed.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

After you've installed the new filter asembly in the Raycor housing back off the banjo bolt (red arrow) next to the primer pump (circled in red). With the bolt backed off a couple turns pump the pump until a solid stream of fuel comes out around the bolt with each pump, then snug it up and you're done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

How do you guys dispose of any old fuel that might be collected during any service?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Home heating oil tank after running it thru a coffee filter
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

mike66 wrote:How do you guys dispose of any old fuel that might be collected during any service?
Usually it's not enough to worry about and will be soaked up by a couple of paper towels tthen put in the dumpster.
If there is any appreciable amount then I let the yuck settle, then pour the top back into the tank and soak up the yucky stuff as described.
Normally this is all I get.
IMG_0885 (1014 x 760).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

For sure the amount of fuel to dispose of when changing the primary is minimal. The secondary will get you a full cup's worth or therabouts.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My marina has recycling tanks for oil, diesel and transmission fluid. I did not know if for a few years because they are in the boat rack building that has signs saying do not enter. Check to see if yours does.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Russell wrote:My marina has recycling tanks for oil, diesel and transmission fluid.
Yes our yard has tanks, but they "ask" for $1 a gallon to dispose of it. If I had a quart or two I would just dump it and not worry about it.

I am fortunate though in that my son heats with waste oil at his auto repair shop, so I have no trouble getting rid of any of that stuff. He takes anything I can find :lol:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

Fascintaing to see what is being done with mushrooms including oil and other hazardous waste clean up. Check it out - google TED.com mushroom to see oil clean up :roll:

Return to “Albin Maintenance”