• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rydlyme Flush on 6LP

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Rydlyme Flush on 6LP

Post by RobS »

A few weekends ago I did a preventative maintenance Rydlyme flush of the raw water side of my 6LP. I made up two adapters to go from the 1 ½” engine hoses to ¾” garden hose thread. I then used 6’ washing machine hoses to go from my submersible pump to my adapters.

Mack Boring said cycle the 50/50 solution 15 minutes, let it sit an hour and then cycle it another 15 minutes.

Rydlyme’s customer service rep said to just run the 50/50 mix for an hour and a half.

So I decided to blend the two instructions together and came up with run it for a half hour, let it sit for a half hour and run it again for a half hour. Since both methods suggested to me had a total time of an hour and a half I kept that the same. My first half hour I ran it in reverse flow, the second run was in the normal direction.

Utilizing the washing machine hoses allowed me to simply connect the garden hose when I was done and run fresh water through for 15 minutes in both directions. This also cleaned out my adapter fittings and washer hoses.

If anyone is interest in doing a flush I can throw the 2 adapters and hoses in a box and send them to you. I’ll cover the shipping – Just ship them back to me when done.

Adapters:

Pump & Washer Hoses:
(You can see how the Rydlyme took the shiny finish off the brass ends submerged in the bucket)

Running:
(The 110 outlet at the starboard helm came in handy for plugging in the pump)

Lower connection at Exit side of Cooling Water Pump:

Upper Connection at Exit Hose from Heat Exchanger. Removed from Mixing Elbow. Don't forget to remove the cooling water pisser hose for the shaft seal and cap that off:

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Rob: It is interesting that I circulated Rydlyme in my Cummins 6BTA two weeks ago and used almost the same set up as you. The 12 V pump I used had garden hose threads and I had some old washing machine hoses in the garage. According to a previous post by Pitou I went to Lowes and purchased PFC 1.5 inch to hose thread adapters for 42 cents each. The threads matched but were a bit short and required two rubber seals to prevent leaking. I circulated fresh water for a while before hooking everything back up. My cruise temperature dropped from 195 to 190 degrees so it was not in too bad of shape after 10 years. From some previous posts I gather that the Yanmars run cooler than the Cummins. By the way, I had the old washing machine hoses because we switched some years ago to the stainless steel reinforced type. Did you do the same?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:Rob: It is interesting that I circulated Rydlyme in my Cummins 6BTA two weeks ago and used almost the same set up as you.
It was Saturday, Sep 27th. Earlier in the week Matt Hanna and I were trying to make some fishing plans but the weather was not looking good so I decided to do the Rydlyme. The day before Matt was in the area of the local dealer and was nice enough to pick it up for me so he came by just as I was finished getting the ciculation loop together.
Russell wrote:By the way, I had the old washing machine hoses because we switched some years ago to the stainless steel reinforced type. Did you do the same?
No. I too had switched over to the stainless braided hoses but the old ones were already cut up for other projects some time ago. I bought new ones from Home Depot for this.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I was going to remove my heat exchanger this fall and have it boiled. I have the Peninsular engine, could this operation work for my set up as well? I have never heard of Rydlyme, is it an acid that cleans out the deposits in the exchanger? D.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

It is not a typical "acid" but does what you are looking to do. Here is the website with basically everything you need to know.

http://www.rydlymemarine.com/

Last edited by RobS on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Thanks, I'll check it out. It sounds a lot easier than removing the core from the exchanger. D.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Ridlyme is primarly made up of dilute Hydrogen Chloride, they add significant buffers to make it manageable and safe, please check out the website's MSDS sheet before you handle it.

http://www.rydlymemarine.com/pdfs/MSDSJAN05.pdf

Hydrogen Chloride:
Highly corrosive solution of hydrogen chloride (a colourless, acidic gas) in water. The concentrated acid is about 35% hydrogen chloride. The acid is a typical strong, monobasic acid forming only one series of salts, the chlorides. It has many industrial uses, including recovery of zinc from galvanized scrap iron and the production of chlorine. It is also produced in the stomachs of animals for the purposes of digestion.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

chiefrcd wrote: It is also produced in the stomachs of animals for the purposes of digestion.
Somach acid. Awesome.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

How many gallons ???

Post by Pitou »

After Chief brought this to discussion a year or more ago .... oh well ... I never did the Ridlyme flush and with the discussion taking place now it tells me the time is here after 7 seasons. What I have been doing is the Salt Away Bath. Thanks for the pics Rob they have taken the daunt out of it. A curious question for those that have done it .... How many gallons of Ridlyme do you need? And yes I will jump on the link to the Ridlyme Site. The answer is probably there. Thanks.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

At a 50/50 dilution 2 gallons of Rydlyme making a 4 gallon solution works for the 6LP. However, I'm not sure the same would be for the 6BTA as yours being a larger displacement engine may have a higher coolant capacity and may require a 3rd gallon. I believe the 6LP coolant capacity is just over 2 gallons. Also depends on your apparatus for the circulation loop.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Where do you buy Ridlyme?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:Where do you buy Ridlyme?
Best bet is to call the customer service number and get a local dealer to you. If a dealer does not exist near enough to you you can buy direct from the manufacturer. Mac Boring recommend flushing with the product so Yanmar dealers should either have it or be able to order it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I purchased one gallon of Rydlyme for the Cummins 6BTA and added about a quart of water. It was more than sufficient. The transmission cooler is the low point so when finished I reversed the hoses on the pump and pumped all the Rydlyme out of the system and then flushed with fresh water for a while before reattaching the hoses. I put the Rydlyme back in its bottle.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Here is the picture posted in June by Merry Kate for the 6BTA. Note the zinc which must be removed or it will be destroyed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rydlyme Flush on 6LP

Post by jumpjet231 »

Brought this thread back from the dead. Do this if you haven't. I have now blown 2 ($90) hoses in 2 seasons. It's the hose the goes into the intercooler and of course it's a $90 special hose from Yanmar. The price went from $19 a year ago to $90. Mack Boring said I'm getting back pressure and recommended a Rydlyme wash. I didn't suspect anything was wrong because I always run around 180 deg. After the first hose split I just thought I had a old rotten hose.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”