• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Erratic Tach.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jim lanza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda

Erratic Tach.

Post by Jim lanza »

Encore, our 1988 Albin 40 sundeck has provided us (so far) with 21 months of interesting experiences. As a sailor of over 30 years, my experience with complicated systems and twin 'monstrous' Lehman diesels was limited. Over the past year and 9 months, I've learned a great deal about Encore, fixed a lot of minor irritations that I'm able to blame on the previous owner, who treated Encore as a floating condo and never moved her for at least three years. Encore has, in spite of minor issues, been a pleasure to own. But now I'm vexed by 'erratic tachs'. I have two Balmar H.O. alternators, that are pushing out 13-15v when running. I know that the tachs are not cable driven, so I am assuming that there's a problem with the wiring. Are any of you familiar with the Balmar wiring and how it connects to the tachs? I know that after 30 years, the tachs might be at the end of their natural life, but before I sink a boatload of cash into new instrumentation, I'd like to know if there's a 'fix'.

Hoping for some sage advice.
Jim Lanza
M/V Encore
Punta Gorda, FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Erratic Tach.

Post by jleonard »

I have a Balmar also. There is a wire that attaches to the alternator with a spade connector. Both times when my tachs went flukey that's where the problem was. Once it was loose, once it was corroded.
That's where I would look first. It could also be a bad ground.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I found a picture of the corroded connector. I am at a loss on how this could have gotten so corroded. Nothing around it was affected and this is high and dry in the engine room.
IMG_0966.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:16 am I found a picture of the corroded connector. I am at a loss on how this could have gotten so corroded. Nothing around it was affected and this is high and dry in the engine room.
Maybe you spilled your beer on it
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kchace
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Salisbury MA

Post by kchace »

One other possibility - if both tachs are feeding the same battery bank and that bank becomes or is completely charged, one or sometimes alternately both alternators will "shut off" which kills the tach signal as well. Now that I have solar charging sometimes the batteries are totally topped off and mine does this. If I change banks via the batt switch I can change which tach does it.

Ken
1987 43 Aft cabin
Twin Lehman 135's

Return to “Albin Maintenance”