• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Albin's "power cruisers"
amorris364
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Seattle, WA

Re: Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Post by amorris364 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:31 pm "Sabot" is an interesting name choice. Wonder how previous owner came up with that?
A sabot (UK: /sæˈboʊ, ˈsæboʊ/, US: /ˈseɪboʊ/) is a structural device used in firearm or cannon ammunition to keep a sub-caliber flight projectile, such as a relatively small bullet or arrow-type projectile, in the center of the barrel when fired, if the bullet has a significantly smaller diameter than the bore diameter of the weapon used.
In the marine world "Sabot" is a type of pram style sailing dinghy:
The Sabot is a sailing dinghy that is sailed and raced singlehandedly usually by young sailors in various parts of the world.
sabotdinghy.jpg

Is it pronounced 'say-bot' as in robot or 'say-beau'?
Re: “Sabot”
Someone named the boat after the French, Belgian, or other European form of Sabot having a similar meaning of the dutch wooden shoe… There are a pair of miniature wooden clogs hanging in the pilot house.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

How cool!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

According to my 9th grade French teacher, "sabot" is indeed a shoe or wooden shoe.

In the olden days, Dutch factory workers went on strike. They purposely jammed their wooden shoes into the machinery causing it to malfunction, slowing or stopping production.

Thus: "Sabot-age".

I kid you not. At least according to my 9th grade French teacher.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
amorris364
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Seattle, WA

Post by amorris364 »

0C0689D8-1175-4FA0-912A-0ECDEE1CDA36.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

With respect to early Albin sail rigs - our early Albin 25 (hull 801) has the mast stepped right up against the windshield like DAs description. However, it does have a compression post - just not the one with the latter sail rig that is part of the table mount.

Ours has a wooden mount on both the inside and outside of the cabin overhead. There are 4 through bolts to attach the mast step plate to the outside mount. But there is also a compression pole with a small 'skid' like projection on one end of the pole. Since we have never put the sail rig on the boat, it is not clear if the skid goes against the keel or against the underside of the interior wooded mount. But the pole is clearly the compression post to carry the mast load to the keel..

Don't know if this is an original sail rig as we are not the original buyer (3rd owner), but the 2nd owner stated 'that it came with the boat when the original owner bought it." Since they were close friends for 40 years, it is probable that it is original. Maybe someone who can search the Albin archives in Swedish could uncover the original sail rig drawings.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Original drawing for the 1971-? sail rig
A25 mast install from manual.jpg

Our mast step. There's your 4 bolts & wooden (teak?) plate under the mast step bracket. Don't have any photos of the inside brace under mast, but it's just like in the drawing.
DSCN3633.JPG
Come to think of it, there is a bronze pipe socket in the cabin sole just ahead of the engine box & a cutout in the floorboard over it. Maybe than was for a compression pipe/post? If it was none came with our boat.

No plans to use the mast again, just save it to pass along to future owners when our time comes to sell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

According to my 9th grade French teacher, "sabot" is indeed a shoe or wooden shoe.

In the olden days, Dutch factory workers went on strike. They purposely jammed their wooden shoes into the machinery causing it to malfunction, slowing or stopping production.

Thus: "Sabot-age".

I kid you not. At least according to my 9th grade French teacher.
Learn something new every day!

The Wiki says this:
The English word derives from the French word Saboter, meaning to “bungle, botch, wreck or sabotage”, and was originally used to refer to labour disputes, in which workers wearing wooden shoes called sabots interrupted production through different means. A popular but the incorrect account of the origin of the term's present meaning is the story that poor workers in France would throw a wooden sabot into the machines to disrupt production.[1]

One of the first appearances of Saboter and Saboteur in French literature is in the Dictionnaire du Bas-Langage ou manières de parler usitées parmi le peuple of D'Hautel, edited in 1808. In it the literal definition is to “ make noise with sabots” as well as “bungle, jostle, hustle, haste.” The word Sabotage only appears later.[2]

The word Sabotage is found in 1873–1874 in the Dictionnaire de la langue française of Émile Littré.[3] Here it is defined mainly as “ making sabots, sabot maker”.It is at the end of the 19th century that it really began to be used with the meaning of "deliberately and maliciously destroying property" or "working slower". In 1897, Émile Pouget, a famous syndicalist and anarchist wrote "action de saboter un travail" (action of sabotaging or bungling a work) in Le Père Peinard[4] and in 1911 he also wrote a book entitled Le Sabotage.
[5]
So I guess the sailing prams were named "Sabot" as a small shoe size boat?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

So my 9th grade teacher told me an urban legend? Buzz kill!

It is kinda close though, just embellished. I'm sticking with it. 9th grade teachers speak facts!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”