• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Post by tribologist »

Just saw a listing for a decent looking A25 with a 3GM30 engine in the Seattle Criagslist. M/V Sabot
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500

Post by Dieselram94 »

Here’s a video tour of this boat...

https://youtu.be/LMQC_m5nEtA
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

Just curious about the hatch on the transom. Is that common? Seems like a good way to sink. I don't have an Albin 25. I've been considering one near me on a trailer.
1972 A25 hull #1366
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I would definitely not want a hatch through my transom. Nothing good could come of that.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

patclem wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:14 pm Just curious about the hatch on the transom. Is that common? Seems like a good way to sink. I don't have an Albin 25. I've been considering one near me on a trailer.
Welcome, Patclem!

No, its not common at all. First time I've seen it, and I can't think it is a good idea. Those escape hatches leak. They are common on cruising catamarans, in case the boat turns turtle since catamarans are not self-righting. There are many who are of the opinion that the escape hatch should not be on a catamaran, but I don't have enough experience to weigh in. However, I can state that I would not want that on my A25. If a guest or child opens it, you'll be exposed to CO poisoning. It's an added maintenance item, and a liability in a following sea (although it's not too often an A25 is in those conditions).

I see you are in Tennessee. I'm in Sevierville visiting family at the moment. What part are you in? Are you looking at the A25 near Knoxville?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

OMG! That's just like ours, same engine & all except in many ways better (extra custom cabinets, cabin heat, stereo, fridge, upgraded instrument panel with gauges) for less than 1/2 what we paid for ours! Even without counting a trailer it's way less than we paid. Similar sail rig except the shroud chain plates attach at the corners of the cabin instead of out at the deck lip. Curiously there's no forestay for headsail & looks line no spreader, just those two upper shrouds & backstay whereas ours has upper & lower shrouds attached at the deck lip & a forestay that attaches just in front of the deck hatch. I might have to have a talk with is guy. For that kind of money I could buy that & keep in up there. I could remove our custom hardtop and install it on that boat or do a BC hardtop. Hmmmm. Yeah, the transom hatch is weird & wonder how that might compromise the structure besides risk of sinking the boat. Looks like it's due for a bottom job too, and doesn't have a swim platform. Thanks for posting.
Seattlealbin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I can’t imagine that hatch would be too big of a deal to glass in.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Isn't the hatch, where the outboard goes, when the diesel quits?
Slow Poke A25 #1110
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Honza- I thought you were joking. ..Until I saw the 4 hp Yamaha and no dinghy, and what looks like an outboard mounting pad on the bottom edge of the hatch. You may be right!

DA - if you call you just gotta ask.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

In one of the pics in the ad, you can clearly see through the aft cabin door and right through the hatch on the transom. It also comes with an inflatable dingy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I never saw the pics - just the video. But look at the wood below the hatch from inside the cabin. Are those outboard transom clamp marks? Sure looks like it.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I'm certainly no expert on structural stuff (or anything else, you ask?), but that transom hatch scares the heck out of me, even without an outboard hanging through it that close to the waterline. It looks like an accident just waiting to happen. It also looks like a good project for a transom rebuild/reinforce. If you must have an auxiliary outboard hang it from a purpose-built support.
But then, with a sailing rig like that you should be good to get home if the prime mover plays up.

That said, the idea of having an opening port on the transom is nice. I know that airflow in the aft cabin in our 27FC would be greatly improved if the aft port could be opened - Hmmm, there's an idea for a winter project.

Other than that, the boat looks rather good with plenty of apparent POTLC.
Last edited by DCatSea on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

'Glassing transoms is common, especially with outboard boats. The Albin would be much easier considering that there is less structure behind than a outboard boat. - just the engine air ducts.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

nebulatech wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:40 pm
patclem wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:14 pm Just curious about the hatch on the transom. Is that common? Seems like a good way to sink. I don't have an Albin 25. I've been considering one near me on a trailer.
Welcome, Patclem!

No, its not common at all. First time I've seen it, and I can't think it is a good idea. Those escape hatches leak. They are common on cruising catamarans, in case the boat turns turtle since catamarans are not self-righting. There are many who are of the opinion that the escape hatch should not be on a catamaran, but I don't have enough experience to weigh in. However, I can state that I would not want that on my A25. If a guest or child opens it, you'll be exposed to CO poisoning. It's an added maintenance item, and a liability in a following sea (although it's not too often an A25 is in those conditions).

I see you are in Tennessee. I'm in Sevierville visiting family at the moment. What part are you in? Are you looking at the A25 near Knoxville?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm going by to have a look. The seller can't float it, so I'm going to have to either buy or pass on the way it's sitting. I talked to the seller. He seems knowledgeable but the boat needs some work.
1972 A25 hull #1366
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm going by to have a look. The seller can't float it, so I'm going to have to either buy or pass on the way it's sitting. I talked to the seller. He seems knowledgeable but the boat needs some work.
I did an email exchange with the seller too. The "must sell" thing is a money crunch issue, which I feel for them. No trailer & it hasn't had a bottom job in 6 years, but other than that & the transom hatch issue it appears to be mostly turn key. Having good cushions that don't need recovering saves thousands. Canvas looks a little rough & still has the stock open roof over the wheelhouse but does have pretty good electronics including radar & Garmin chartplotter plus fridge & diesel cabin heater. Comes with an older inflatable dinghy. The 4 stroke outboard alone is worth $800. Plus it has the same trusty Yanmar 3GM30F as our boat. You could not repower a free-for-the-taking project boat with a dead engine for less than $9,500, let alone cosmetic restoration. Tough times these days for a young couple with family on the way (mother to be in the video obviously "with child"). I suggested he should try to hold onto it at all costs & not let it go if it can be helped, even if he has to lay it up in low cost storage somewhere for a few years. Eventually when kids get old enough their best memories of growing up with Dad will be times out on the water & that he'll never find a more economical to operate family cruising boat for less than $30K. Certainly was the case with me and my late father while growing up in NJ & going out fishing & tonging scallops on Barnegat Bay in the old man's home built clam boat (powered by a 1937 Chrysler car engine). Invited him to join AOG. Hope he does.

WillieC, would you consider helping him transport to storage with your trailer if he asked?

BarnegatBayBoat.jpg
Dad with my Aunt Betty getting ready to go boating in 1986. In that picture he was ten years younger than I am now.
Dad and Betty 1986.jpg
Granddad's boat, which I never got to go out on. Not sure but that may be my Dad holding the fishing pole.
IMG_0154.JPG

Showed him this picture of the sales brochure & imagine family times like this.
20180721_195044.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”