• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Slide window for A25 wheelhouse/helm window

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Slide window for A25 wheelhouse/helm window

Post by dkirsop »

One reason not to glass over the wheel house. I am grateful the previous owner made the cover removable.
Removal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Au contraire!
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
We don't need no stinkin' skyhook!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

dkirsop, WIllieC, great job both of you!

I was a comparative coward. I disassembled my MD17C in place, removing it piece by piece.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

I measured the window openings, they differ considerably from their pattern and from each other. Yes, my was hanging too!
Slow Poke A25 #1110
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hoo, Rochester

Post by AdSurrey »

Bob I believe it's a previously modded one anyway and to be honest it's not functional to me plus I'm bald so it would only add to the heatstroke risk lol. Basically the plan is to fill the hole and blend it with the rest of the roof, which once again doesn't seem to be standard and then put 2 flexible solar panels across the wheelhouse roof. No fancy re mod or dodgy one just plain and simple.
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

With regard to keeping an eye out, yes definitely. If it can be done in a tasteful way then I'm up for it.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

AdSurrey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:15 pm Bob I believe it's a previously modded one anyway and to be honest it's not functional to me plus I'm bald so it would only add to the heatstroke risk lol. Basically the plan is to fill the hole and blend it with the rest of the roof, which once again doesn't seem to be standard and then put 2 flexible solar panels across the wheelhouse roof. No fancy re mod or dodgy one just plain and simple.
Not hugely modified though, and looks as if the rounded roof edges are still intact, but with an overlaid panel. The original roof looks to be substantially there.
20200423_170943.jpg
I am sure you'll do a great job, and looking forward to seeing it.

You're in a historic area there, Chatham not too far. Nelson's ghost probably haunts the place, so you could ask him to keep an eye out too.......
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

Yes the bit I'll be glassing over is an inset panel, I guess third party as I don't think I've seen the same on any others and fairly well made with battens glassed in underneath for ceiling fixings, the ceiling liner is another job to replace eventually. The hatch really is useless to me and I would much prefer to have the window open.

LOL! Yes a very historic area, one which I am so looking forward to exploring once I have cut my teeth somewhat.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I noticed the A25 for sale mentioned in this post has a sliding window, starboard side only:
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 28&t=12362
00T0T_9208KWkn6nf_600x450.jpg
I thought you might be interested to see its design
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Of course it is your boat not mine. .... but just one little suggestion: fine glassing over the helm, but if possible think about doing it reversibly. That way you don't run the risk of being vilified as the "bloke who ruined a classic". I hate seeing the tops of A25s chopped off and replaced with some monstrous structure that presumably must be beautiful in some beholder's eye, but not in mine.
I considered just that issue when I did my hard top. In so doing it is through bolted around the lip on 8" centers with #8 machine screws (which had to be special ordered in 3" lengths) and sealed with removable 3M 4200 sealant/adhesive rather than 5200 permanent adhesive. Not only for the benefit of future owners but also if it ever became necessary to pull the engine up through the hatch opening. Nothing got chopped off, and the only repair needed to return to stock condition would be to fill the bolt holes around the lip of the opening. I'd hate to think a future owner would want to remove the hardtop since it does provide shade, is watertight, provides a mounting space for the 20 watt solar panel, has classy looking teak hatches (if I may be allowed to pat myself on the back) and allows opening hatches for ventilation and standing at the helm. As such it is "minimally invasive" and has served us well. I can even attach shade/bug screens with Velcro over the hatch openings to provide some shade with ventilation & keep bugs out.
DSCN2009.JPG
DSCN2018.JPG
DSCN2053.JPG
DSCN2022.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

That's great! A professional level of finish, and respect for the original design.
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

Thanks Nebulatech, yes that's perfect and a nice visual of one.

I'm only 5'6 ish (ish is important :)) so the hatch isn't really beneficial to me, with a slight floor mod, a semi lower right step, I can stand quite comfortably at the helm but would most definitely benefit from the sliding window.

The kit has arrived for fiberglassing but the weather this week isn't good but no rush and plenty of internal work to do when I get there.

Nice work DesertAlbin736 and way above my pay grade in skill, a flat top with flexi panels is the plan for mine.

Interesting side note, I like many others refer to other 25 pictures and for sales to get ideas etc. Well, although I had looked at it many times over the last 18 months I never realised that I was looking a previous owners version of my boat prior to the last owner buying it. 100% sure it's as same Kubota engine before the marinisation started to wear, same kitch bowl, tray and tea/coffee/sugar pots and much more, the seller had photoshopped the name out which is why I never noticed before but well pleased as it's great reference point and more history for my boat.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

My sliding pilothouse windows are by Diamond Seaglaze. From what I hear, the name reflects their price. They were on the boat when I bought it.
20190603_163128.jpg
And as far as engine replacements go...
IMG_1204.JPG
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

Very nice. I may have to write off to some to see if they will at least share their templates to a UK company.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

'Ey Oop, our Ad.... I was idly (not uncommon) Googling UK marine window mfrs, and two at least look promising, although most do seem to be catering to the narrow boat craze. Doesn't cost anything to get a price from them.

https://www.houdini-marine.co.uk/windows

http://www.technauticmarinewindows.co.uk/windows.html

And Technautic seem to make exactly what you want:
20200507_124419.jpg

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”