• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Slide window for A25 wheelhouse/helm window

Albin's "power cruisers"
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hoo, Rochester

Slide window for A25 wheelhouse/helm window

Post by AdSurrey »

I was planning on figuring out how or where to get a slide window made for my wheelhouse but whilst I was browsing some of the for sales on here I noticed one or two actually had them and wondered if they were an albin made product or are they custom. I have no idea where I would look to get one made but it’s exactly what I want as I am about to fibreglass over the helm hatch and would much rather stick me tongue out the window :)

Anyone got one for sale or any ideas who would make them, reasonably cheaply as corona ate my income.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Slide window for A25 wheelhouse/helm window

Post by NickScheuer »

Google Peninsula Glass. They're out in the NW, Washington, I believe (I don't have my paperwork handy) Their website says make full-siz patterns for custom windows, however, they have made so many A-25 helm windows that they do not need a pattern from the buyer. I have worked in design for the window industry, both aluminum and PVC and Peninsula's quality is top notch.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Keoki Dakine on Facebook Albin cruiser 25&27 group page states approximate $957 for both and the company he used has the A25 template already which should make it easier. I’d be interested in helm side window pricing and maybe we could get multi unit price discount?

Keoki maybe member here but I don’t know how to search AOG for members.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by OldDemps on Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Lots of folks here have used Peninsula Glass. It's how I learned of them. A pair for the pilot house set me back $800+ including shipping.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Could somebody explain, please, how are the AL frames attached to the FG structure? Just caulk?
Slow Poke A25 #1110
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Peninsula's frame has an outer flange sealed to the fiberglass pilothouse structure with butyl tape. The inside of the frame has a perimeter clamp flange secured to the outer frame by multiple screws. The original rubber H-gasket is discarded.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Excellent question and answer, thanks Nick
Our windows are fine, but the gaskets after 47 years are wanting. In these sketchy times we are a bit more frugal but it might be worthwhile contacting Peninsula to ask about consideration for a block of orders from A25 owners. Sort of like a virtual rendezvous with group moorage rates.

On the other hand. Any small business that is able to keep people working these days deserves better. Who knows, they may have already closed the doors.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

I have asked them for quotation - no answer yet. I will post a note, if/when they get back to me.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

When I wanted Info a few years ago I googled their website, got their phone number and called them. Apparently they do a lot of boat and vehicle windows.
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful although I should have said I'm based in the UK lol. I'll make enquiries here too when I get time and when businesses are opening again. Someone did suggest making the frame myself as a local DIY store sells scribing, ally channel, with a similar fit as NickScheuer explained. I only want one, I don't see the need for a port side one.
keoki62
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockport tx

Post by keoki62 »

I used peninsula glass awesome windows. A little pricey but quality is top notch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
AdSurrey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdSurrey »

Looks good. If I find somewhere over here that's reasonable I will get it done when the funds are in, otherwise it will be a diy version at some point. Either way I will post info here so others have reference. To be fair it all depends on Covid19 and the work that comes in as to what I decide is a reasonable price :) Unfortunately though I've just had another big cancellation for May.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

AdSurrey wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 pm I am about to fibreglass over the helm hatch and would much rather stick me tongue out the window :)
Of course it is your boat not mine. .... but just one little suggestion: fine glassing over the helm, but if possible think about doing it reversibly. That way you don't run the risk of being vilified as the "bloke who ruined a classic". I hate seeing the tops of A25s chopped off and replaced with some monstrous structure that presumably must be beautiful in some beholder's eye, but not in mine. I think that the overall form of the Albin 25 is quite lovely, and I know you won't be altering that, but I believe that in 20 years time, the desirable A25s, just as with classic cars today, will be the bog-standard originals and not the highly customized jobs.

Sliding window: plenty of little fishing boats mouldering away on quays in your part of the world, and if you keep your eyes peeled you'll likely find something suitable or modifiable for modest moolah. What to do with a worn-out dolphin? Why, reporpoise it of course! No need to spend a tuna money, sell your sole or mortgage the plaice.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
keoki62
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockport tx

Post by keoki62 »

The fiberglass / foam over my helm raises and lowers because my old skin doesnt need anymore sun. Modified my windshield for some ventilation in the texas heat... but you stay pure.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Keoki62, would you please have more pictures of the windshield and FG roof?
BTW, I have contacted Motion Windows (division of Peninsula Glass). The price for both basic sliding wheelhouse side windows with screens (no fancy finish or tint) including shipping to Maine is $938. Getting single or group orders makes no difference to them, as the building process can not be sped up or simplified for a volume job. They have the pattern. I am going to take a window out and check it this morning.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”