• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: bottom paint

Post by rebuckley »

Pedro - post powerwash - I also sat in the slip from mid August until last week - we had a slime coat but no major growth to speak of. The "orange rusty colored" marks on the rudder were the slime growths.
We had the transmission pulled and rebuilt in late August, and the kids started sports right away in Sept - so it killed our late season trips.
The main thing was the grey paint is an $8 can of rustoleum zinc paint - opposed to Petit's $40 can of zinc

One other note - my slip in Westerly is in brackish/fresh - in Groton - you guys are more salt - so you may get a different rate for the growth.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Good tip on the zinc paint!
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

Just was reading this string . I too use hydro coat SR and have barnacles on trim tabs, rudder, cutless bearing housing and skeg. Since I have enough SR to touch up my bottom, I bought a quart to use on metal areas to do a comparison. Guess we’ll see. I to live near the cape so . Cape Codders comment got me to give it a go.
Brad
Capt Brad
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Capt Brad wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm Just was reading this string . I too use hydro coat SR and have barnacles on trim tabs, rudder, cutless bearing housing and skeg. Since I have enough SR to touch up my bottom, I bought a quart to use on metal areas to do a comparison. Guess we’ll see. I to live near the cape so . Cape Codders comment got me to give it a go.
Brad
If the SR is copper based, it may not be a good idea to use it on metal parts such as aluminum trim tabs?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I just rechecked. I did in fact use hydrocoat eco. Boat was clean except for tabs and rudder. Nothing my power washer couldn’t handle. Will hand clean up before repaint.
Capt Brad

Return to “Albin Maintenance”