• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

bottom paint

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi

Anyone have any experience with the Hydrocoat SR? It is time for a bottom job and I thought I'd try one of the water based products.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience

Jay
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: bottom paint

Post by Cape Codder »

I've used Hydrocoat for many years, and SR for one season. I then switched to Hydrocoat ECO.
With both Hydrocoat and Hydrocoat SR, barnacles would form on metal parts. Rudder, strut, tabs, even the prop nut.
After discussing with Pettit, they explained that in salt water, and copper bottom paint, electrolysis is generated and PREVENTS the leaching of the coppper (the biocide)out of the paint. So growth on metals were the result.
After I switched to Hydrocoat ECO with NO COPPER, problem solved.
When my boat is hauled in late October, the hauler claims it's the cleanest bottom he's ever seen on Cape Cod. He switched to ECO too.
It's so clean, that the power washing may not even be necessary.
BTW, the boat is moored in shallow water on the south side of the Cape where harbor water temperatures climb to the upper 70's. Ideal grown conditions.
Hydrocoat ECO WORKS!!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That is really good to hear because I am working my bottom off right now, in fact just stopped for lunch between rain squalls. My plan is straight out of the Pettit Book: bare naked hull, Super Duper Blue Stuff wipe down as many as it takes, 1 coat of their 2 part epoxy gray and one of white, then as many coats as I can get out of one gallon of Eco red, two at least on the A25.

Quite a job and I don't plan on doing this again, at least this deep. Bob, I think it was you who first brought to my attention the electrolysis issue with old style copper paints. With a shiny new prop, I have high hopes. It also recently occurred to me, by looking at what others are doing here at AOG, that the metal parts of my swim platform are not bonded to my propeller shaft, which could be yet another source of my issue. Then again, neither is my rudder skeg. Not quite sure how to accomplish that one. A topic for another day, sorry Jay. Point is, everything is related and there are few things on boat projects that stand truly alone. For example, I read somewhere that lighter colored bottom paint is cooler, doesn't absorb heat, and thus discourages marine growth. Who knew that it could be so complicated?

Jay, I read all your posts and thank YOU for all your contributions! Now start scraping!
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Bob/Willie

Thanks for that information, Better Days floats mostly on the Indian River, a brackish estuary on Florida's East Coast, so while I don't doubt your experience in "real" salt water, I'm hoping from some perspective from other members who run their boats in brackish conditions. Willie thanks for the kudos, hope you don't think less of me, but I pay someone else to do the bottom; I'll work on the topsides. :)

Jay
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

BTW, I also have painted my 4-blade prop, with zinc spray undercoat, and then Hydrocoat ECO over coat. Stays nice & clean!!!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

what kind of zinc spray?
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

I have used Aquagard for years now. It is also water based,easily applied and clean up is a breeze. It also be applied up to 6 months before you splash. Might be worth while to google. It's also reasonably priced. I am on my fifth season now. This year I will need some touch up at the least.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier aerosol
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Petit ECO has been awesome! And switched to "Rustoleum Zinc Spray" for the prop - at $8 a can - it cant be beat!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

rebuckley wrote:And switched to "Rustoleum Zinc Spray" for the prop - at $8 a can - it cant be beat!
Well that's some intriguing information! The Pettit stuff is crazy expensive!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
dmorlo52
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New London, CT

Post by dmorlo52 »

Doug,
I have been using Hydrocoat ECO for about 4 years now and I have not had any barnacle growth. I only had to touch up the bottom for 2 seasons after initial application. Last fall I reapplied to the complete bottom so I expect just touch up this fall. Usually I do from the waterline down and any area that looks thin. It is expensive but watch for rebates on their website or from Defender Industries in Waterford. Crocker's now will only apply Pettit Hydrocaoat. You going to Block for Columbus weekend?

Dave
Winedown
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Prop end of season small file.jpg
Since we got hauled last week, I wanted to post the results from the $8 can of Rustoleum Zinc pant.....not too shabby!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

never needed to paint my prop.....it doesn't sit still long enough to get fouled....fwiw
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Hey Reb, Is that picture straight from the water or after pressure washing?
I wasn’t able to use my boat for several weeks this summer and the metal parts got lots of “growth” no barnacles but clumpy snot,, I use the same bottom paint as on the hull for the rudder and strut, zinc spray on prop and stern tube,
Wondering if I should strip rudder and use zinc on that for extreme protection,?
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Here’s what it looked like,Hull was clean, rudder and especially tabs were fouled, first time in 4 years,sittting is not good,,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”