• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: 1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Post by WillieC »

Ah, a word, not an acronym. Thanks.
Pesky moderators trying to keep topics searchable. Sometimes I try to find something I have posted and can't because my mind often wanders, even in my posts, imagine that!
Moderators: thanks for your gentle moderation.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sweet truck! Your very wise getting that truck before the emissions kicked in. DPF=headache!
As if I could afford a newer one anyway! Bought this one used in 2011 with 78K miles on the odometer, mainly because I realized that towing an 8,000 lb sailboat (counting the trailer's weight) up and over the coast range mountains from Phoenix to San Diego with a 1/2 ton Chevy Tahoe SUV wasn't such a great idea.

For those not familiar with that route, you take Interstate 10 to the junction with AZ Rt 85 at Buckeye, AZ, then south to the junction with Interstate 8 at Gila Bend (fan belt capital of the world), and thence through El Centro & over the monutains to San Diego. El Centro is actually below sea level elevation, and from there in the next 120 miles climbs over a series of summits that top out at 4,400 feet & back down to sea level in the last 40 miles of downhill.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Sweet truck! Your very wise getting that truck before the emissions kicked in. DPF=headache!
As if I could afford a newer one anyway! Bought this one used in 2011 with 78K miles on the odometer, mainly because I realized that towing an 8,000 lb sailboat (counting the trailer's weight) up and over the coast range mountains from Phoenix to San Diego with a 1/2 ton Chevy Tahoe SUV wasn't such a great idea.

For those not familiar with that route, you take Interstate 10 to the junction with AZ Rt 85 at Buckeye, AZ, then south to the junction with Interstate 8 at Gila Bend (fan belt capital of the world), and thence through El Centro & over the monutains to San Diego. El Centro is actually below sea level elevation, and from there in the next 120 miles climbs over a series of summits that top out at 4,400 feet & back down to sea level in the last 40 miles of downhill.
I’ve never done that exact route, but I used to live in the San Bernardino mountains...I used to drive from Arrowhead California to Temecula everyday. Something like 72 miles each way. I have been through El Centro many times as we used to go to the sand dunes of Glamis all the time. What a blast!
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I don't have any advice for the trailer other than some information from the previous owner of my boat. The last time he took it out he weighed the rear axle of his vehicle along with the boat and trailer separately, he did that due to it getting squirrely on him, what he found was that the hitch had no weight on it. Somewhere along the way, most likely pulling it up the boat ramp the boat slid back about 8". That 8" moved the C of G enough to completely change the way the boat was balanced on the trailer.
When we went to pick the boat up after purchasing it we moved it forward against the winch post and that put more weight on the hitch, enough that two of us couldn't lift it. So it doesnt take much to change the C of G.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

ssrig wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am I don't have any advice for the trailer other than some information from the previous owner of my boat. The last time he took it out he weighed the rear axle of his vehicle along with the boat and trailer separately, he did that due to it getting squirrely on him, what he found was that the hitch had no weight on it. Somewhere along the way, most likely pulling it up the boat ramp the boat slid back about 8". That 8" moved the C of G enough to completely change the way the boat was balanced on the trailer.
When we went to pick the boat up after purchasing it we moved it forward against the winch post and that put more weight on the hitch, enough that two of us couldn't lift it. So it doesnt take much to change the C of G.
That’s a good point. Right now it has a lot of tongue weight on it. More than I thought it would have. I still plan to move it forward some though. Possibly tomorrow I’ll have some time to work on it.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the Perkins 4.108
I noticed the starter (new) is spacered back from bellhousing. After some research, it seems it is supposed to have s factory spacer. So the hunt is on! Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”