• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Hi everyone!!! I am seriously considering purchasing a Albin 25 or a 27. I have other boats, but I think I would be happiest with one of these.
Do Albins use any wood cores? I’m very concerned about getting a boat with Rot issues.
Thanks!!
Last edited by Dieselram94 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New member in midcoast Maine

Post by WillieC »

I'm voting for A25, but that's all I know.
Welcome aboard, Dieselram94!
What's a Roy issue! I know about DPO, but Roy? Maybe spellchek "Rot"?
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

In the movie Kingpin there was a bowler named Munson who messed up a lot, they coined a phrase when something went really wrong the person got Munsoned, his first name was Roy, could be a connection.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Lol, thanks guys. Yeah, my phone does a predictive text thing and I missed that one! Oops!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Hobbit had an A25 and moved up to the A27 due to size issues, hauling grandkids, etc. Read his posts, maybe PM him.

My concern with the A27 is only what I've read here about leaks (accompanied by Roy issues) where the cabin attaches and at windows. That and fuel consumption. And trailerability. And retro-cool factor. That's it.

Just saw two A27s up in Ladysmith at the BC Albineers rendezvous. You can't imagine two more different boats. One was plain jane stock and in need of tough love. The other was all tricked out lacking only the underwater stern lights that cycle through the rainbow spectrum all night long. In a marina. Visible to everyone except the owner.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Diesel, There's a major difference in size of the 25 vs27. My 27 has a 9'8" beam vs about 8.5 on the 25, so trailerability is different. There are several 27's on trailers on this forum but most launch from a travelift because of ramp issues. If you have a steeper ramp near you and a good 4x4 you'll probably be OK. The fuel consumption is great on both - mine, with a 6 cyl Nissan burns about 3 qts/hr @ 6 kts. Most of the leaky boats are the early models (mostly '84s) and some later ones that had ignorant PO's. Remember that the 27 was designed as an entry-level cruiser - and entry -level owners ain't the best maintainers! That said, I really love my '87 FC and no way I'd trade for the best 25 around. Ben
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I appreciate the input, trailerability is a big issue for me. I own two moorings in Rockland harbor, but I’m dead set against using boat movers. I currently have a Trojan F-26 (inherited from my best friend last fall due to a motorcycle accident) that I’m trying to get back to a running condition. It is only 26’4” long but has a 10’ 1/2” beam...and a flybridge. So it’s not going to be fun trailering at all. Not to mention obscene fuel burn with the Chrysler 318. I do have a Dodge 2500 4x4 with a Cummins diesel though.
Did either the 25 or 27 use any wood stringers or transom?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

All glass in A25.

Background junk, where? You'll never see pictures of MY lot!
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

The 27 hull is very strong. No exposed wood but the hull is balsa cored from the top of the keel to the gunnel. On my '87the engine stringers are 3" mahogany encased in 3/8" glass so very strong. The earlier models are considerably less but I've never heard of an issue with weakness of the beds. The transom is about 3/4" thick with 1/8" balsa core - plenty strong for an inboard but not for a heavy outboard as some have proposed on this forum. Make sure you actually go aboard the 25 and the 27 before making a final decision. If you plan on long distance trailering (cross country) then the 25 is probably your best bet. Ben
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

That’s interesting on the 27’s having a cored hull. I do need to go aboard both still, however at the moment the 25 is very interesting to me, being easier trailering and all glass with no wood to rot. Thanks for all the info!! Everyone is very helpful!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I found a old 25 with nice aluminum tandem trailer, looks like new enclosure and cushions. Overall good condition. However it has a original Albin 21 hp diesel. At $13,000 seems very high given the old power plant and the expense of a repower?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Talk to Dkirsop about that old engine. Then snap the boat up.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9868
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Just ran into this old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9640

And, this:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10849
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Dieselram94 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:50 am That’s interesting on the 27’s having a cored hull...
Respectfully, as clarification, please see my website.

The Albin 27 hull is not cored. The deck and pilothouse are. I have drilled several holes in the hull, stripped the interior bare, done extensive modifications above & below the waterline, fore and aft of the engine room; plus I’ve rebeddded 7+ thru hull fittings in various locations throughout the hull; I’ve also talked to both the naval architect designer,and widow of the owner of Albin USA. The hull is not cored.

Very specifically, my websiite and the Albin Buyers Guide explains how the hull is constructed and what you can expect.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Joe, The '87 27FC hull is cored from the top of the keel to the gunnel. I've replaced two thru-hulls and added one so I'm dead positive on that fact. My PO couldn't figure why his new in-hull transducer wouldn't work until I explained that a transducer couldn't shoot thru a cored hull. I removed the old original Datamarine thru-hull xducer which he had cut the wire off of and put a tapered patch over the hull hole and installed his new transducer over the now-solid area and it worked beautifully. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”