• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shipping an 28 albin

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Shipping an 28 albin

Post by Tree »

Pitou wrote:$12,000 seems out of line.

My buyer used UShip.com to gain a hauler when I sold my 28TE in 2013. It shipped from just north of Boston to SanDiego for $7,200. The hauler used a triple axle trailer and a 2500HD pick-up. UShip is a sight where you enter your parameters and shippers bid to get the job.
I also used Uship and thats how i got in contact with Tom at Infinity Marine to ship the boat to the docks for me.

Shipping wars on the history channel has a lot to answer for :lol:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Tree wrote: I imported the Albin with a budget of what I believe it's worth is here, so ignore the taxes etc as they are added into the cost of the boat should I sell it later. The boat was in the states and we imported it to England...

Swapping over from 110 to 240 volts isn't an issue either. You use heavier gauge cable over there as you draw higher amps. I swapped out the microwave, heating element in the hot water and battery charger, although most chargers are dual voltage and dual 50/60hz units.

I have a thread on here all about shipping it to the UK if you search my posts.
Tree: I read through yourt post(s). Great looking boat, but I didn't find the answer to my questions, or understand what you're saying :D
My understanding is you shipped your boat Boaltimore, MD to the UK, via a car hauler. Boat was trucked down from Sandy Point to Baltimore, then freighted to UK on a cradle. Cost $8500.

In the UK, how did you get around paying the VAT? Did you pay the VAT? do you pay it up front or only on re-sell? Is that what you meant by budget--you set aside money for the VAT & import and had to pay it up front with assumption you will get it back later on re-sell or leaving the EU? How did you get to assign the value to the boat? My understanding is they assess the value--and if its an older boat, they assess what they want.

My understanding is that in the UK of all places you have to pay VAT, up front, plus there's another tax of some sort they levy. And I heard its something like 20% of the boats assessed value. This assumes permanent import to EU. I've heard that there are a few EU countries that have more favorable treatment to importing boats, such as Croatia. My understanding is you can claim temporary import (which is limited to 18 months in EU). In this case I'm unclear if you pay the VAT etc up front and they reimburse you once you leave, or do you pay anyway. Based on your experience, how does this work?

Did you have to get CE approval or licensing or whatever they call it. My understanding is the boat has to have CE approval, specifically for emissions, which means the engine has to meet whatever requirements they have. Which means an older boat must be repowered to meet the CE requirements. I heard as recently as 2006 all boats were CE compliant. I don't know whether there's other stuff thats covered by CE.

Re: 240v, my understanding is you have to have a step down transofrmer that then converts the 240v to 120 so the boat can be powered. Changing over the wiring and would also require change over of the battery charger, inverter, etc unless they were already 240v compliant--but you still need the step down, no?

I would love to be able to take my Albin 27 to Europe and cruise the canals etc...
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

quick answers as I am still stuck at work!

As you are not purchasing the vessel, you won't need to pay any tax - I paid 20% VAT on the purchase price plus i think it was 3% import duty. None of these will affect you as you are not keeping the vessel here, simply cruising albeit the first leg on a cargo ship. From my point of view, the tax was part of the purchase price effectively so would be included should i sell the boat.

With regards to electric, thats a sticky one. The voltage is of no issue what so ever as you can purchase a transformer for around £80 which will be in the 3-5kw range. Your issue is the Hertz rating, we are 50HZ here where you are 60HZ there. Normally this wont affect most things on the boat except units like air con and possibly microwaves but as most microwave motors and clocks are converted from AC to DC in the unit, this generally isn't an issue - it will just take you 10 seconds in every minute longer to cook things!

Battery chargers are usually 50/60hz rated and many modern ones are also dual voltage.

With regards to cable size - you use far larger diameter cable there as at 110 volts, you will be using more amps to power stuff, therefore the cable needs to be a bigger diameter to stop it getting hot. Going from europe to the states would require an entire rewire.

You may need to have a CE certificate - all three Albin 28's here all have the approval now as this was something we had arranged last year once we were clear on the regulations..

In hindsight, I wouldn't pay out to have your boat shipped over - there are quite a large number of Albin 25's here and purchasing a boat that is ready to use would almost be a cheaper option - selling after you've cruised the canals wouldn't be an issue as you would leave it in the hands of a broker. If you are dead serious about it, I would be quite happy to check any possible boats over for you so long as they are within sensible driving distances.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/bo ... -boat.html

http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/WhooshPrepPower.htm

Hope that helps?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

Buyer backed out .. Said he could nit find a trucking firm to do it for less than 12,000. ?????? Flight from cal to nc. Survey haul out and power wash and two night stay!!!!! ???????
Back on the market !!!!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

kjg1951 wrote:Buyer backed out .. Said he could nit find a trucking firm to do it for less than 12,000. ?????? Flight from cal to nc. Survey haul out and power wash and two night stay!!!!! ???????
Back on the market !!!!
That's ashame. I remember the creme' de la creme' transport services were around 10k from Boston to SanDiego with hydraullic trailer and freightliner cab. Hard to accept his estimates. Hopefully you were able to garnish something from the survey.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Tree: excellent info thanks a lot. I was thinking same thing. When it comes to do Europe I will get a European boat.

KJG: what u have there is a faux buyer. That was not a real buyer. You're luck they flaked now rather than later.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

kjg1951 wrote:Buyer backed out .. Said he could nit find a trucking firm to do it for less than 12,000. ?????? Flight from cal to nc. Survey haul out and power wash and two night stay!!!!! ???????
Back on the market !!!!
Bummer. I agree with JT that the buyer got cold feet.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Pitou wrote:$12,000 seems out of line.

My buyer used UShip.com to gain a hauler when I sold my 28TE in 2013. It shipped from just north of Boston to SanDiego for $7,200. The hauler used a triple axle trailer and a 2500HD pick-up. UShip is a site where you enter your parameters and shippers bid to get the job.
Agreed.. I got some quotes from uship to move the one I'm in contract for from SF to Orange County. 2,800 - 2,300. You need to ask the correct questions also. The hauler I am using (pending sea trial and survey) has a hydraulic trailer that can take the boat from the ramp. That saves 300.00 so on each end.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

boat was SOLD .....