• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shipping an 28 albin

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Shipping an 28 albin

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a buyer fir my 1994 albin 28 .. It is going to be shipped from North Carolina to California . Does anyone have any contacts or know of a company that will do this shipping .. Maybe even a tri wheel trailer pulled by a Dullie .
Thanks for your help
Kevin g
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Re: Shipping an 28 albin

Post by Paddy »

Mine was shipped via a dually and 3 axle trailer. The cost from Connecticut to Long Island was $1300 cash, and the hauler took the ferry...less than 100 miles! I can't imagine the cost to ship cross country. Please keep us posted, quite an interesting journey!
2004 28TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

In the spring of 2012, we used a guy by the name of Chris Hanna out of Myrtle Beach to move our boat from Deltaville, VA, to Colchester, VT. He used a triple axle trailer and a 1-ton dually. Price was $1700 and all went well. I have no idea what he's doing these days, but you could try to call or email. 843-687-2932. chris (at) fccllctransport (dot) com.

Good luck!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I Googled boat hauling. Boathaulingus.com provides some fairly simple formulas for various size boats based mainly on beam and point of origination, I.e. east or west coast. Quick look at it suggests $6000 to $7000 to ship out west from NC for a 28TE.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

You may even find it cheaper to ship it by car transporter. It cost us just under $6500 to ship across the Atlantic!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

The
Buyer is telling me the lowest quote he got was 12,000.00 I have forwarded all your suggestions to the broker .thank you.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Tree wrote:You may even find it cheaper to ship it by car transporter. It cost us just under $6500 to ship across the Atlantic!
That's a great price if true. Has anyone actually done this? My impression is that you would think you could send an Albin across the Atlantic on a trailer on a car carrier ($6500), but in fact its quite expensive ($10K+) once you compute all the actual costs. I think it depends on what country you bring it into, whether and if you can avoid the VAT and other issues, some compliance/licensing issues, etc. In addition a USA boat has different AC/DC system that Europe boats etc. I believe, actually doing this with an Albin from the USA is more complicated than just roll-on-roll-off.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, so let me know. $6500 to get your boat into Europe for cruising would be worth it, but I think it ends up being a lot more expensive than that.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

KJG: I shipped my 30ft classic sailboat back and forth across the country twice and and to/from Miami to the eastern Caribbean twice. It was a 10,000 pound full keel sailboat with 35' mast. Its been a while, but the prices are not favorable. I will tell you this: one of the reasons I chose an Albin 27 was because it could be trailered. Transportation is expensive any way you look at it. As well as haulouts, storage and yard work. As we all know, having a trailer and controlling that is key.

First Move - 1996 North Carolina to Portland,OR private transport - $6900
Second Move - 1997 Portland,OR to VA private tranport - $2900
Third Move via Dockwise - 2001VA to Miami to USVI by freighter- $4400
Fourth Move via Dockwise - 2003 USVI to Miami by freighter- $4500

None of the shippers except dockwise are still in business.

My recommendation would be to take the DIY approach as much as possible. Try to source a trailer or cradle yourself that can be rented or used for the trip. You can have a cradle made for $1500. Find a hauler who can tow the trailer on a return trip from somewhere, at flexible dates, so you get a discount. In recent years I have had the best luck getting competitive pricing using Uship.com. But you really need to do your homework and really interview your shippers. And don't trust anything someone tells you. Use references and ask a lot of questions. Its possible you might find a hauler with a trailer in hand that would work. I would guess your cost will be $5-7K.

This leads to the argument that its better to buy a trailer (even a used one) upfront than even pay the cost of transport once. To me this is an issue for the buyer, not the seller.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

The concept of Hot Shot Towing is a bunch of people with trucks and trailers who bid on loads from one place to another. Google Hot Shot towing and you will find out more than you wanted..but I used them to get my triple axle from LA to Bellingham. If you want I can give you the contact for the driver I used...he was great but you want to be carefull and check these guys out...some are a little questionable...so get referrals. For about 6-7k you can get a brand new trailer..get someone to tow it out here and either keep the trailer or sell it
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

The advantage for us was the car carriers are effectively empty when they leave the U.S. and full of BMW's Jaguars etc when they return. So when the ship leaves Baltimore (in our case) it's an empty boat with a few bits on. Anything they can do to fill the space makes some money. We used Peters and May as our shipping agent and K-line was the shipping company. There are a few tricks you need to know, like having the cradle made that so the boat can be lifted with a fork truck, not a dockside crane as that costs $$$. We paid around $500 for the cradle to be made. There are pictures of it on the forum. We also paid around $1500 for the boat to be moved from Sandy Hook Yacht Sales to the dock in Baltimore. Ok it's not a true $6500 but nothing like $12,000 you buyer was quoted.
Last edited by Tree on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

One more thing, when we shipped the price of oil was high. You'd almost certainly find now that the space on the ship would cost less
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I'm confused. When you said you "shipped across the Atlantic" I assumed you meant from Europe to the USA. Or vice versa. And are you saying you used a cradle on a "car carrier" instead of a trailer? And you went from Baltimore to where? The trip from Sandy Hook to Baltimore cost $1500. The trip from Baltimore to (unknown European destination) cost... $6500? Cradle $500.

That's $8500.

What was your European import tax? How did you register boat? Do u have any issues going from 120v to 220v ? Do you have emissions issues?

Sorry if I misunderstood something.
Last edited by JT48348 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

JT48348 wrote:I'm confused. When you said you "shipped across the Atlantic" I assumed you meant from Europe to the USA. Or vice versa. And are you saying you used a cradle on a "car carrier" instead of a trailer? And you went from Baltimore to where? The trip from Sandy Hook to Baltimore cost $1500. The trip from Baltimore to (unknown European destination) cost... $6500?

That's $8000.

What was your European import tax? How did you register boat? Do u have any issues going from 120v to 220v ? Do you have emissions issues?

Sorry if I misunderstood something.
I imported the Albin with a budget of what I believe it's worth is here, so ignore the taxes etc as they are added into the cost of the boat should I sell it later. The boat was in the states and we imported it to England.

What I am suggesting, if you had a boat in say, New York and the cost of shipping it to say Florida was $12,000 by road. Why not jump on an empty car transporter and ship it down to a port in Florida for considerably less?

Swapping over from 110 to 240 volts isn't an issue either. You use heavier gauge cable over there as you draw higher amps. I swapped out the microwave, heating element in the hot water and battery charger, although most chargers are dual voltage and dual 50/60hz units.

I have a thread on here all about shipping it to the UK if you search my posts.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

$12,000 seems out of line.

My buyer used UShip.com to gain a hauler when I sold my 28TE in 2013. It shipped from just north of Boston to SanDiego for $7,200. The hauler used a triple axle trailer and a 2500HD pick-up. UShip is a site where you enter your parameters and shippers bid to get the job.
Last edited by Pitou on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”