• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lift Adjustment for 28TE Need Help

JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Lift Adjustment for 28TE Need Help

Post by JIMBO44 »

This from Jimbo44, Port St Lucie Fl. Am happy new Albin owner of 28TE, 1994, Engine Box. Picked up Matter of Time in Daytona Beach, Fl last week, with Admiral on board sailed her 162.5 miles to home Inlet of Stuart, Fl then to St Lucie River and to home dock in Port St Lucie on said River. Very busy settling her in but will send pics and trip log next week.

I have a good existing 16K lift, plan on installing good 12 in. marine bunks, need help with placement and sizing of risers that will hold new bunks. Hull#AUL28154D4 applies. Beam is shown as 9.9', engine is Yanmar 170HP. Lateral support beams are currently 10' in length and correctly sized for 16K lift. Main reason for questions are hull impact; i.e. placement with regard to Center-of-Gravity and the 28 TE Hull. Help Pls want to get her out of the salt.

Regards to all.

JIMBO44 :D
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Lift Adjustment for 28TE Need Help

Post by DougSea »

Hey Jim,

Congratulations on the new boat!

She should have Sling markers that would show you the proper placement of the bunks. When we had our 28 and she was stored on the hard for the winter the forward blocking was about 2' back of the thruster and the rear was just forward of the skeg.

The hull form below the waterline should be the same for any engine box model so if you can find one you should be able to take measurements that would match yours.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

Doug,
thank you very much, went in the back yard looked at the sling marks and said "Yeah". You are correct of course, and the remaining question is the hull form, I am in warm Florida with no nearby Albin so perhaps i will just have to go in the water with a tape. Thank you for your support.

Jim

Matter of Time
1994 28TE, Yanmar 170
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here's something to get you started
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Jim:

Would you please clarify the term “lateral support beam”. Is this the I beam that runs fore to aft, or port to starboard?

There are many variables that go into the placement of the bunk boards on a lift. The drawing provided by RobS will give you some idea as to the placement of the bunk boards in relation to the hull - mainly center line values. For my 24 Getaway, I measured the distance between the stringers in the engine compartment and noted where the thru-hull fittings were and came up with a rough estimate as to the distance between the top of the bunk boards. The spacing at the bottom of the bunk boards is greater due to the angle of the risers.

The relationship of the center line of the boat to the lift was a function of how close to the side of the dock I wanted the boat. I took into consideration the guide poles, lift motor housing and the cable connecting assembly of the various lift beams.

It took a couple of adjustments to get it the way I wanted.

The sling marker that DougSea pointed out is a good reference point. You do not want the skeg to hit the aft I beam. I’ve established a reference point between the sling marker and a guide pole that tells me where to stop the loading of the boat on to the lift. Been meaning to place a bumper on the aft I beam to help protect the skeg in case of an over shoot…

Once you are happy that the lift is supporting your boat keep in mind that due to the profile of the keel that the lift may have to be lowered more than one would think in order to clear the aft I beam. Another mark on a guide pole for this situation comes in handy.

Hope this helps,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

To: Robs and N4QC, Your assistance will put us in business here, I am very grateful, by the way the terminilogy i was referring to "Lateral support beam" was to identify the Fore and Aft Beams, i just looked at them differently than you ( I am left-handed). The engineering drawing is priceless is exactly what is needed. Next question my dock guy asked was the dead rise at the bow, as the bunks can't be tapered he is trying to set an initial entry angle for fitting the boat. The transom drawing dimension looks to be the key.

When I was looking for another boat my old salt neighbor pointed me to Albin and shared the opinion the the AOG was the best group in boating, I believe him.
Best Regards,

Jimbo44
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

JIMBO44 wrote:...and shared the opinion the the AOG was the best group in boating, I believe him.
Hands down, no doubt about it!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

Review of the Engineering Drawing indicates the Dear Rise at the Transom to be 11.5 degrees, Rob S. do you concur, this for bevel on bunks.

Jimbo44
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

JIMBO44 wrote:Review of the Engineering Drawing indicates the Dear Rise at the Transom to be 11.5 degrees, Rob S. do you concur, this for bevel on bunks.

Jimbo44
No, that is 11 1/2 inches of height from the hull centerline at the transom up to the water line. Deadrise at the transom is 16 degrees. Probably mid 20's under the pilothouse area...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

Rob, Thank you, obviously my fingers got mixed up with the "dearrise" rather than "deadrise. I am putting on the lift tomorrow morning at high tide with a couple of good dock guys and will send news. I have about 3 feet of tidal change so that is why i am trying to use so much care. With the anticipated 3.2 ft needed to get off I will need to be at high tide or close to it to get on and off lift.

Regards and much thanks to all.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

So your lift doesn't go low enough to get off at low tide?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

Rob,That is right, cannot get off the lift at low tide due to draft of boat and available depth, lift hits bottom, answer would be dredging but that is a whole other issue. If I want to get out at low tide I have 110' of waterfront and 60 ft of dock and will have to come off at high tide and tie up at my own dock pier. Also at extreme low tide the mouth of our otherwise beautiful lagoon that leads to intracoastal has only 3.2' available at low tide. Lagoon itself has from 10-19' but not at the mouth. As it is I would not risk the prop/rudder at low tide.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Jim:

I have a similar problem with my lift being able to hit bottom at low water. Be extra careful when lowering the lift as if you hit bottom you may end up spooling off the lift cables. I have marked a lift guide post with a stainless steel screw at the point that when the water level hits the screw it is no longer safe to continue lowering.

The contour of the slope of the bottom may be an aid to getting off the lift in skinny water. Keep in mind that the skeg is probably some five feet out from the dock. The lift beam is still the controlling variable. I use the following links to help determine if I need to get the boat off the lift earlier than needed and also to plan on getting the boat back on the lift. The tidesonline link plots actual verses projected. In my area it can be an extra .5 to .75 feet. Works both ways though… You should be able to find local reporting stations for your area…

http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/plotcom ... rsburg,+FL

http://www.softseas.net/

As for the lagoon problem - more activity thru the area may help clear the way…

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

Perhaps someone with a trailer for a 28 could measure the trailer bunks and use that as the plan for your lift system.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”