• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thruster question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Thruster question

Post by RobS »

My 4D Starting and 31 House were dated 2003 and replaced just last year in good working condition. My 4D was donated to my friends excavating business and I believe it's still in use...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have found over the years in my experience and general experince from other boaters via several forums that 5 years is a good service life for a marine battery.
There are a lot of factors involved including how far they discharged and what kind of vibration/shock they revceive.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
sweetwater wrote: and both batteries to be safe...
That seems drastic, are they in need of replacement regardless?

I thought you were refering to his "I'm buying a sailboat" comment!! :shock:

(And sailboats have many of the same issues as powerboats AND mix in the rig! Plus they go nowhere fast! 8) )
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

If you ever have to replace yours beaware that Vetus used two different style gearboxes (aka tailshaft) - a spline drive and a "key" or "tab" drive. The difference between the two isn't noted in Vetus' parts cat. so be sure to explain it to the person you order it from. They think this was applicable in the late 1980s 50 and 55 kgf series. If anyone needs one, I have a friend with a new spline drive for the 5512 that he couldn't return to Jamesport Dist. when he found it was the wrong one.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

My new solenoid comes in Wednesday...keeping my fingers crossed. Additionally, when I pulled the batteries out, the ground terminal on the small one (group 31 under helm) FELL of the cable end. It was not properly crimped at the factory or where ever it was wired. Great boat, but can't wait to get past the initial new-used boat issues. Thanks for the help, I will keep you informed. I have learned a lot this week about our thrusters!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

sweetwater wrote:Great boat, but can't wait to get past the initial new-used boat issues.
There is a definite time where this comes to an end, unfortunately it's the day you sell her :roll:

Just kidding, initially it's the bugs like you are finding, then you move on to the periodic maintenance and optional stuff. You must try to find some level of enjoyment or gratification in it, it's the only way to survive :twisted:

Worse than the new-used boat issues would be the new-new boat issues. I have plenty of friend who thought there was never such a thing, and boy were they wrong!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

OK, here is the update: Installed the new batteries and solenoid. The thruster now spins well with no clicking from the new solenoid. I still have a huge voltage drop at the thruster when it is activated. Down to about 10 volts to starboard, and 8 to port. All the connections are tight and clean. I don't understand the difference in voltage drop in the two directions.
I did see that Vetus recommends "000" cable be used on a run as long as we have on the 28, but Albin used "00" to the battery switch and then "0" from the switch to the thruster. I tested the drop at the switch and it was a more reasonable 10 volts under power. Wondering if replacing the "0" positive cable from the switch to the thruster with the correct wire would help, or if the ground wire on the thruster would need to be upgraded as well.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

My question here is "What's normal?" Is it performing well? If so I wouldn't worry about it and just go boating. A voltage drop when a large load is placed on a DC circuit is to be expected. The fact that they are different could just be a function if the forward/reverse gearing and load that the thruster is putting on the power system.

A final question - is the tunnel clear? I had problems my first year with growth on the drive unit. Due to the asymetrical layout it would perform reasonably well in one direction but not the other.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks Doug, I will get in the water this weekend and take a look. "normal for that motor should be a minimum of 10 volts under power. It seems to be performing ok, but I fear that the low voltage is why I burned out the solenoid in the first place. On the positive side, it has forced me to dock without it a couple times... not to much fun in the wind!
ENJOY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!!!
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

Where are you grounding your thruster from/to?
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Im not too sure where the factory grounded it. It looks like it goes to a ground bus in the front of the engine compartment. I will have to look more carefully, why?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”