• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thruster question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Thruster question

Post by sweetwater »

Hello all,
I was on the boat today and noticed that the thruster works great pushing to port, but sounds labored and uneven pushing to starboard. The boat was not running, but the batteries are fully charged. Could it be the thruster needs the extra voltage from the alternator? Any thoughts would be welcomed...I want to fix it before it gets worse.
Also, can someone explain the process of replacing the thruster's brushes?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Thruster question

Post by RobS »

I removed my brushes to measure them and they were within spec so they got cleaned and reinstalled. What model do you have. I have the Vetus 50 which was replaced with the 55. Different models have different access for the brushes. As far as poor performance in one direction sounds like a prop problem like a damaged prop or something hung up in it, etc..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Im not sure of the model, it's a 2005. It sounds electrical in nature..struggles then spins up to higher rpm. Would the brushes be accessed the same way as yours? I found your old post with the pictures.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

A 2005 model (if Vetus equipped) would most likely have the 55kgf. I found this picture of the 55 online and the motor looks very similar to my 50kgf so it is likely the brushes are accessed the same way mine are as noted in my prior post that you referenced.

Glad to see you using the Search... function :wink: - there is a ton of info being built-up on this site

A check of the prop is a simple thing to check and rule out. But I do know the clarity of the water in Oakdale is far from that of the deep blue ocean. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

OK, so far I cleaned all the brushes and all the connections on the thruster...It got worse. Getting 13.7 volts to the thruster, but when activated it goes down to about 7 in one direction and 10 in the other....taken at the thruster. Also, I can't seem to find a fuse or breaker for the thing.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Sounds like your batteries may be weak. They can be fully charged but the thruster draws a lot of current and the voltage drops. Is there a difference if the engine is running?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

I replaced my 3kW Vetus bow thruster for the 7kW on Paumanok this winter. If you need a replacement motor I have one that works perfectly. It had to be replaced because the 3kW was not strong enough to push the bow around in a moderate wind. This is probably not what you need but I am letting you know just in case. When I read your question I wondered it the problem is simply in the joy stick where the contacts need cleaning when you push it to starboard.
Ron
Paumanok, A34
Westbrook, CT
Tom Alby
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westbrook Ct PPM North

Post by Tom Alby »

Does anyone know if you have to remove the motor to check the brushes
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Tom Alby wrote:Does anyone know if you have to remove the motor to check the brushes
You do not need to remove the motor. Do a Search and you will find my post with pics.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

ENDURANCE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ENDURANCE »

I have a 05 with a Lewmar 5hp thruster, same problem. I replaced the brushes with an updated version from Lewmar and the problem was solved.
Garth & Kim
ENDURANCE
2005 28 TE Flush Deck
Clinton, CT
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

The plot thickens...

The thruster on my 27AC had nearly the same symptoms, with one side eventually going out altogether. Port worked fine, starboard, nil.

Ended up being the solenoid.

I have a Sidepower thruster. Sidepower also had on their website a complete diagnostic flowchart for troubleshooting. Worth a million bucks! Well, maybe not a million...

This may not apply to your model thruster but don't rule it out for "one side works different than the other" problems.

- Jon B.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks for all the responses! It looks like I have it narrowed down to the solenoid. With boat running, I have 13.8 volts to switch, 13.8 on both sides of the switch at the switch, 13.8 at the thruster on both posts......but a huge drop when activated. Replacing solenoid and both batteries to be safe. Im buying a sailboat.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

sweetwater wrote: and both batteries to be safe...
That seems drastic, are they in need of replacement regardless?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I just got the boat used and previous owner stated this is the 4th or 5th season, so I figure why not eliminate another possible source of trouble.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
sweetwater wrote: and both batteries to be safe...
That seems drastic, are they in need of replacement regardless?
I agree with Rob.

I'd find a good battery shop who can load test them for you. That will tell you their true condition. Be sure to bring them there fully charged for the load test to be accurate.

My original Exide "Commercial" Gold 10 year old Dual Purpose 1400 MCA starting battery was just replaced this spring. I had it load tested last spring and it was at 80%, which was ample for my usage as a starting battery only. This winter ... it froze ... game over! Naturally Exide stopped making these as they were too good. I replaced it with a DEKA Commercial 4D at 1235 MCA. The local commercial lobstermen are getting 5 years out of these running year round.

House bank different story : original group 27 lasted 2 years then replaced that with a Rolls 4D which lasted 5 years and last year went with 2 Exide 6 volts for even more amp hrs. than the Rolls and 1/3 the price. I had these load tested this spring and they are still at 100%. The beta test continues ...
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”