• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

High water alarms

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

High water alarms

Post by jcollins »

On my project list this year is a thorough cleaning of my bilge including upgrading pumps. I've been reading about high water alarms. The more I search, the more products I find.
Today I'm looking at the Sentinal product. Seems to serve it's purpose and easy to install.

So, I guess my first question is "do you have a high water alarm and what brand do you have?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: High water alarms

Post by DougSea »

Hi John,

The new boat has a high water alarm tied in to the SaeKey system that I still don't know much about. I'll be looking into it further soon.

One thought I've had about the alarm is that while a sensor mounted amidship, as mine is, is great for a monitored system to alert you to problems while no one is aboard (marina staff or neighbors would be your alert if not monitored) but if I'm underway, on plane, and the alarm goes off I'm in a world of hurt. I'm thinking a second sensor needs to be installed at the transom if I'm hoping for a warning before things get bad. A planing hull boat runs bow high and it would take a lot of water to trip the midship sensor.

I'll be down on the boat this weekend and I'll check it out for you.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I have a high water alarm in my 32; don't remeber which brand. Mounted right in front of me on the helm; and has a light as well as the audio alarm; which I might hear if the engine isn't running...and definitely wouldn't if it is. Very simple to tie a dash lite into the alarm for a visual alert.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My 3 Albin installed bilge pumps have switches on the dash with indicator lights that come on if the pump sees power from the dash momentary switch or from the float switch. I am very attentive to my gauges and lights when underway so I would see that red light if the transom pump came on. Sometimes I add water and bilge cleaner at the dock and then watch the light come on when I get her up on plane. And if I am not on board and she takes on water and goes down....well that's Travelers problem...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

Post by henry robertson »

john i have a boat builder next door who set up my high water alarn for me as i have poor hearing---he used a 6 inch 12v fire bell connected to a bilge pump switch mounted above the engine bunks wired to battery with fuse and a test button on starb. pannel by by wheel just above bell. hoped i would never hear it--firemen did as they tried to put fire out
henry
albin 31

Return to “Albin Maintenance”