• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Meet Sonny IV

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Meet Sonny IV

Post by Halcyon »

Nice boat. Tell us more, is it galley up or down? One helm or two? How does it perform with the Volvo's? Cruising or fishing bridge? Any more pictures to share?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

In response to the request for some pictures and info...

She's a galley up, twin stateroom, convertible. No lower helm. I can only tell you that she moves right along with the Volvo's based on the sea trial, I'll update that info once I get a chance to get underway on her in the spring...if it ever gets here!

I took a bunch of interior photos yesterday so here you go on a brief tour of Sonny IV:

The Salon. Cherry woodwork, convertible settee, LOTS of light!

First though, some champagne to toast the new boat and my father in Law in who's memory she's been named (his nickname was Sonny)
01- The Toast.JPG
02 - Salon Forward.JPG
03 - Salon Forward STB.JPG
04 - Salon Aft PRT.JPG
A brief stop at the electrical pannel. Lots of room for expansion.
06- Electrical Pannel Companionway Open.JPG
Next up the head. Older 35TE's have a "private" entrance from the Master. In this version the sink has been rotated 90 degrees and is on the forward bulkhead. More storage and overall space. Nice big shower.
07 - Head Sink.JPG
08 - Head Shower.JPG
The Guest Stateroom / Bunkroom / Cave - two decent sized bunks, nice lighting, good storage. That's the Salon table and cockpit bolsters sitting on the bunks. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the table on a day-to-day basis. Need to store it away someplace.
09 - Small Cabin Bunks.JPG
10 - Small Cabin Steps.JPG
Now the Master. Island Queen. 2nd AC unit, Hanging locker, drawers, shelves. I'll be putting in a bigger, but not too big, HDTV and probably a remote VHF mic.
11 - Master Forward.JPG
12 - Master Cabinets.JPG
13 - View Aft from Master.JPG
Back up the stairs to the Salon again.
14 - Salon from Forward.JPG
Kathy loves the Galley Up design. The stove is unused. That will change in a big way!
15 - Galley.JPG
And for the guys, two big beauties underneath it all!
16 - Engine Room under Salon.JPG
17 - STB Engine.JPG
We can't leave without at least one shot of the helm. Currently has the electronic engine controls, Raymarine electronics circa 2006, Fireboy system, Seakey and a bunch of switches I'm going to relocate (Deja vu all over again!)
19 - Helm.JPG
And there you have it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Congratulatios Doug .... way to go! Spacious indeed, you'll get lost with all that real estate. The terrific pictures that you've shared truly do show off that beautiful cherry finish work, teak & holley sole and clean engine room. Way to make the big jump and set yourselves up for comfortable cruising. I sure do like the galley up .... just like at home, the chef can be part of the party and all the cooking smells can disipate more quickly leaving the living space below with fresher air. Good job Capt. and all my best. 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Wow! What a beautiful boat. It looks like brand new. Congratulations.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Nice pics, gorgeous vessel. May you have many great voyages
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks for the photo tour, you must be excited. I love the teak and holly sole, mine has carpet. Lack of lower helm also opens up the galley, there is a helm chair mounted on top of my refrigerator! I have plans to make it hinge forward to provide additional counter space. I am also switching to a propane range for anchoring out.

You mention a convertable settee, at some time would you be kind enough to post some pictures of its operation? It is another feature I want to add.

How do you access the engine room from the salon, is there a ladder or some steps?
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Nice boat, Doug ! Interesting the differences from mine. Is that teak and holly floor original from the factory? Mine was added. And your engine access is hinged as a single hatch opening to port against the settee, whereas mine is double hinged folding to aft. Looks like you have a door from the stateroom to the head as well as from the passageway? As I do. And your bridge - seating forward of the controls? As you know, my galley is different, with the large fridge by the exit door. I just replaced it and now have fixed or replaced all A-List needs. Shine it up and off to the rendezvous! Enjoy Sonny, Doug. Spring will come soon!!
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Doug, Nice touch to a closing :)!! Sharp looking vessel! Good Luck with your travels!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hey all, thanks so much for the kind words, comments and questions! I owe you a few answers...

Jay - the snow seems to be melting so the snowmobile skids may just be about to come off! :lol:

Kevin - Kathy really likes the galley up, and I never thought about the airflow - another plus!

Russell - I didn't consider just how "like new" she was until your comment. I'm not sure what the prior owner did with her but he sure didn't make many modifications, at least in the cabin. There's a little bit of work he must have done to put in a TV, which is not there, but that's about it. Soon to change! :)

Ed - thanks. With you, John and Dave (and all of your Admirals!) showing off your beautiful 31's at the rendezvous I really started looking at the bigger TE's. I owe you all! And if Ann (Hideaweigh) reads this...Your "woman's view" tour really helped me articulate the advantages to Kat...so much that SHE found the new boat!

Halcyon (sorry, don't think I know your "real" name!) I'll take some pictures of the settee next weekend when we head back down to NJ. I haven't played much with it yet. As for the engine room; no steps but on my list. I'm tall so it's not a huge problem to get up and down but I think some form of removeable stair is in order, probably on the aft end. How do you get down into yours?

Chuck - same question, how do you get down into your engine room? Given all of the other "accessability" options on A-List I'm guessing you have an elevator! :-D As to the floor, as far as I can tell it's factory done. It's in all the cabins and I see no sign that it was an add-on. I don't have direct access from the master to the head, if you look at the picture looking aft what you see to Stb is the cabin door which I think is on the other side on yours. On the bridge I have the "cruising" helm which is a single helm seat forward and centered. No seating in front of the helm but a larger bridge deck than the sport fish models. I'll get some more pics of the exterior next time as well.

And Tom - Thanks for the "closing comment"! :) I also wore my AOG shirt to the sea trial, but it was under 4 additional layers of clothes!! And I was still cold!! Once it warms up I'll have some questions for you about the Champlain Cannal. Think we'll make the trip up there in the next year or two. Kat went to UVM and I think a water visit would be a lot of fun. Just need to check my "air draft"...

Thanks again everyone!
Doug
Sonny IV
Al O Fish Us
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Florida

Post by Al O Fish Us »

Shirt, you got shirts? John when will to tell us about this?
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Did I tell you, Doug, the guy that commissioned A-List was the Captain of a minesweeper? All the luxuries, including a folding step ladder to the engine room! He was short; I am tall. Replaced that with a short plastic stool secured by one screw. Waiting for the pics of your bridge deck. Sounds nice.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Toasting the new boat
I recognize that label, good stuff for sure..

When we met last you were standing in the rain eating your Chef Boyardee out of a can.

Now you're enjoying Veuve Clicquot in your cherrywood accented galley with teak & holly sole.

Nice work Capt. :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
DougSea wrote:Toasting the new boat
I recognize that label, good stuff for sure..

When we met last you were standing in the rain eating your Chef Boyardee out of a can.

Now you're enjoying Veuve Clicquot in your cherrywood accented galley with teak & holly sole.

Nice work Capt. :wink:
:lol:

(Don't tell the others but I do love me some Chef Boyardee!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

DougSea wrote:
RobS wrote: Hoping to make a number of overnight anchorage stays on her, probably Lloyds Neck, Eatons Neck and Oyster Bay to start off. Later trips to the coves of Martha's Vineyard (Tashmoo?)
Doug,

We spent a night in Lake Tashmoo last summer and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Be sure to take a dinghy ride up to the headwaters on a quiet morning. It's quite a place. Congratulations and best of luck!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Doug Congratulations, looks great, I am 10 minutes from Pt Pleasant with som3e experience with local marinas. Where is she sitting? If you are coming down and need a hand or want to show her off , let me know . My 40 is probably about 10 minutes away. Come by for a drink etc.

Craig
ALBIN NSC 40

Return to “General Discussion”