• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin @ Newport Boat Show

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Albin _AT_ Newport Boat Show

Post by DougSea »

N4QC wrote:Doug:

The common denominator in my response to Powerboat56 was that of the yacht broker, not Albin. Powerboat56 is doing due diligence in attempting to find out if the salesman’s statements are true. Reading between the lines – buyer beware…

Your contact will perhaps clarify the issue.

Have fun,
Thanks Joe...

Ah yes, RCYS. Have a member of my club pushing me to use them for the upcoming sale of my "little" TE. Not one of the previously identified baddies but I'm not clear how the whole process works...if it's the company or the individual broker that really impacts your experience as seller. My other option is to use Prestige YS but I'm told they (whoever "they" are exactly) have a strong (and clearly wrong!!) bias against my engine.

Anyway, I'll be crawling over the new TE when she shows up down here. Looking forward to seeing it!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've also talked to Charlie Tasso and his indication to me was that they owned the molds and rights to at least the 28' TE line, but are completely independent of whatever Fred Peters is doing with the larger boats.

I agree that it is disturbing and confusing to have two different manufacturers building boats under the same name. The potential for disparity of quality and service between the two is worrisome. Hopefully at some point this will be resolved.
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

powerboater56 wrote:I went to the Newport Boat Show today and got the impression there is considerable confusion over status of Albin Boats. Standish Marine was there with a nice 28 built by Northcoast/C&C, but there was also an Albin 46 at the show represented by <> Yacht Brokers.

The <> salesman I chatted with on the Albin 46 said Fred Peters is starting up Albin again and intends to make all the boats in the line, including the 28, 31, and both 35 models. He wasn't sure where the 28/31/35 would be built in the U.S., but said the decision would be made within 60 days.

The larger boats -- the North Sea 40 and the 45 Command Bridge and new 46 Sedan are being built in Taiwan now, not China. The 46 Sedan at the show looked pretty good actually, much better than the Albins built in China.

Ken Hilton from Standish said C&C/Northcoast was negotiating for the remaining molds and tooling, but it sounds as if the future of the Albin line is very much up in the air.

Hmmmmm, the talk from the salesman sounds familiar......hmmmmmm
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

What caused me to question the future course of Albin was that the <> yacht broker/salesman at the Newport Show stated repeatedly that Fred Peters was behind the "rebirth" of Albin as evidenced by the new Albin 46. He said the whole Albin line would be back under the control of Mr. Peters, including the smaller 28-35 foot models that were supposedly being transferred to Northcoast/C&C.

From what I have learned, Mr. Peters is still the actual owner of the tooling/molds for the Albin 28, 30FC, 31TE, 35TE and35CB.

So the folks at C&C/Northcoast may fully intend to build Albins, but I assume that it is up to Mr. Peters whether they will retain possession of the 28 tooling and gain possession of the larger models. The contradictory stories presented by <> personnel and C&C/Northcoast personnel are what caused me to wonder if the future of Albin is assured or not. Especially given Mr. Peter's near abandonment of the tooling and molds decaying outside the old Albin plant, and given the notoriety of his chosen sales team.

John S.
Jamestown
John S.
Jamestown, RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Curiouser and curiouser!

I'm really going to have to corner a few folks on this one!

Thanks all!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
AdvantageYS
Mate
Mate

Post by AdvantageYS »

I am happy to clarify the confusion around the models and builders. This comes directly from the Director of Marketing for C&C Marine.

C&C Marine is building the 28 in RI and will continue to be the exclusive builder of that model.
C&C is taking orders on the 31TE and 35 models, and will build as the order bank dictates. This has been confirmed with Fred just this past weekend.
C&C is being represented by 3 dealers: Advantage Yacht Sales in Newburyport, MA; Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton, RI; and Sassafras Harbor Marina in Georgetown, MD. Additional dealers are already in the works and will be announced as they come online.
C&C is updating their website to clearly define the models and dealers and will be launching an advertising campaign to get the word out.

Fred has the right to use the other models as he desires. Those are not being built by C&C. Further, no one else can build the 28, 31, or 35.

I hope this clarifies.

Doug
Doug G.
Advantage Yacht Sales
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I have been following this post with great interest. Not because I have any interest in purchasing a new boat, but simply because I enjoy reading about this stuff. That being said, I would take everything said by RCYS with a huge grain of salt. Bob Milano and company cannot be trusted. They have proved that with our own members and I would think with many other buyers.

But, then again, I own a Peninsular. What do I know? :wink:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: But, then again, I own a Peninsular. What do I know? :wink:
And a Convertible!to boot !! :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
jcollins wrote: But, then again, I own a Peninsular. What do I know? :wink:
And a Convertible!to boot !! :D
Says the man that sits around with his greek fisherman's hat, smoking a pipe. :lol:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I was on hull #2 of the new TE28 (since production started again) at the Norwalk show on Saturday, according to the dealer from Sandy Hook, NJ. He spoke well of the quality but said they are very slow in manufacturing and delivering. He feels it will take a while to re-build the image and acceptance of the brand after the last few years. He said the new base price is $189,000. He also said no more engine box versions, which we prefer over the flush deck.

Return to “General Discussion”