• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Railing repair Question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Railing repair Question

Post by Legacy »

My bow railing needs some TLC. Looks like the railing post is attached to a metal bolt that is already embedded in the fiberglass and not accessible by any access port nor is there a way to install a port. The railing has a flat seat that is stainless that I can drill through and then sink some stainless screws. No way to put a through bolt in with a backplate and nut. If I sink screws into the fiberglass, what can I fill the holes with so the screw stays secure with no water intrusion? Or are there any other solutions?

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Railing repair Question

Post by DougSea »

Hey Rick,

I'm using threaded stainless inserts to repair the transom door on my 28. You basicly drill a larger hole and screw it in and it then provides a threaded center for a machine screw. My plan, as yet undone, is to drill out the hole, put a bit of epoxy in the hole and screw in the fitting. I'm going to thread a screw into the fitting and lock it in place with a nut and the put a dab of wax or such on the open end to keep the epoxy (I use West System) from filling in the fitting. West Marine has the inserts in their fitting section. Here's a link to the bulk packs in the catalog, they sell them by the piece in the stores.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... &langId=-1

What I hope to have when complete is a threaded, watertight connection point on my door. It's probably overkill for your purposes but I thought I'd share! :)

You could of couse just drill oversize holes and fill them with epoxy and then drill out the hole for a screw. Same as we do for thru hulls on a smaller scale.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Re: Railing repair Question

Post by Legacy »

Thanks!
Rick