• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Cummins 315hp low oil pressure, no power

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

FinalOffer
Deckhand
Deckhand

28TE Cummins 315hp low oil pressure, no power

Post by FinalOffer »

Took out my 28TE ('97) for the first time this year and the oil pressure hovered at 30psi and did not increase...noticed after boat would not plane off and had no power...8 knots max. No oil leaks, plenty of oil in the engine. Boat usually runs at 60psi increasing to about 90psi at cruising speed.

Cummins 315hp turbo diamond series with 1000 hours. Professionally maintained. Bringing it to my mechanic but would appreciate any guesses as to what I'm looking at for possible causes and the $$ to repair.

Thanks.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 28TE Cummins 315hp low oil pressure, no power

Post by jcollins »

Not being a mechanic this may be a stupid question. :oops: Would a "stuck" turbo affect oil pressure?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
FinalOffer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by FinalOffer »

I was lucky enough to get a mechanic out on it this afternoon...he thinks it's the turbo. Nice work.

Now I'm hoping I don't have to replace the whole unit.

Thanks for the reply.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

A "stuck" turbo will not directly affect oil pressure. RPM (or lack of it) would affect oil pressure.
Those turbochargers can be rebuilt. You could do it yourself if you are mechanical. They are easy. About $80 to $100 for the kit available at any turbo shop or thru a heavy truck parts store.
Also remember that if there is no fuel, the turbo will not spool up. It all starts with fuel.
If your turbo was not spooling up you probably had a bunch of black smoke??? If not you should check for a clooged fuel filter, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
FinalOffer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by FinalOffer »

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure they offer me the option to rebuild it versus replacing it.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”