• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

VETUS THRUSTER PROBLEM

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

VETUS THRUSTER PROBLEM

Post by Doug »

The thruster on our 32+2 has stopped working. When I push the button "on" the control panel, the small green light comes on. When I push the switch in either direction all I hear is a "click" from the relay, but nothing else happens. I have checked the thruster propeller by getting in the water and the blade turns freely. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks,
Doug
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thruster

Post by RicM »

The click is the solenoid, so your switch is OK. Check voltage to thruster motor. If you have plenty of juice to the thruster motor and it doesn't turn, check the brushes in the thruster motor.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

There has been much discussion on this topic here in the past. Typical causes are corroded wiring, broken shear pins, and fried motors due to undersized wiring.
hjonas
Mate
Mate

Vetus bow thruster

Post by hjonas »

Sounds like you have broken the cotter pin. The propeller should be fine. Call Vetus and ask them to send you two cotter pins and directions on how to put one in. You do not have to go overboard its an easy fix from directly overhead the unit.

Hank Jonas
Albin 28 TE
On-Rush
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yeah, if the prop spins freely, I would agree that it's probably the cotter pin.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shear Pin

Post by RicM »

If he pushes the joy stick and hears a click but nothing happens then it's not a shear (cotter) pin, the electric motor is not turning. If you hear the motor turning and nothing happens, then it's the pin.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

If it were the pin I think you'd hear the motor spinning which it sounds like you are not.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
stevediebold
First Mate
First Mate

Bow thruster

Post by stevediebold »

I have been going through a bow thruster breakdown as well. Call Dave Barrett at Vetus at 410 712 0740 and he can talk you through the diagnosis.
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Mine failed at Seatrial when she was new and had the exact same thing happen, the clicking sound but no love. I ran voltmeters across the unit, did the official wiggling and unplugging of connections with the service guy, and we found that the actual solenoid was hosed. The clicking was the contact closing, but the solenoid was not allowing the primary voltage to conduct to the thruster.

A quick replacement of the Solenoid and she was back in action. No issues since.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Vetus Thruster Problem

Post by joe.baar »

My solenoid gives the same clicking symptoms with no dice. Ballard Electric bench-tested it and gave a clean bill. Voltage to solenoid looks good, control wiring all seems to work the way it should. Next on this list is the motor brushes and wiring but since it's "summer" in the Pacific Northwest these issues are no longer high on the Big List. I'm getting fairly competent at manuevering the old-fashioned way by now, which is a good thing anyway.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

GOT THE THRUSTER PROBLEM FIXED

Post by Doug »

I removed the thruster and took it to a starter / alternator shop. They found the armature had a flat spot on it and the thruster needed new brushes. $95.00 later, all is well. I installed it yesterday and everything works as it should.
Thanks for your comments.
Doug
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Well done - got to be happy anytime you can get out from under something for less than $100. Wonder why the flat spot? I could understand corrosion, wear marks, grooves, etc. - but a flat spot seems odd. Did they say?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”