• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need New Cummins Exhaust Risers

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito

Need New Cummins Exhaust Risers

Post by DKramer »

I am the proud owner of an Albin 35 TE with twin Cummins (Model 6BTA5.9-M3). In the engine survey the need for new Exhaust Risers was mentioned. I am looking for information to arm myself with before opening my wallet.

I believe I need to have a diesel mechanic remove them, send them in to have the specs to re-fab the new risers.

Any thoughts?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Need New Cummins Exhaust Risers

Post by Pitou »

Pictures of your system would help us a lot to understand exactly what you have. Post up some pictures!

I had a 6BTA 370 in my 28 with a stock Cummins stainless steel exhaust shower head elbow bolted directly to the turbo. it's easily ordered from Cummins if that is all that you need. On my 31 I had a combination of a stock Cummins cast elbow (again easily ordered) bolted to the turbo and the stainless steel shower head before I completely redesigned my exhaust riser and shower head to gain proper spillover.

Lots of good reading here on marine exhaust systems from one of the best who is also a Cummins Dealer that happens to basically be in your own backyard:
http://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/exhaust-systems/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

Yup. Seaboard Marine. Tony Athens.
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

I had to rebuild my turbo and replace the exhaust elbow due to the poor design of the Cummins exhaust system in my 1996 Albin 28. Tony Athens has written about this problem extensively. Luckily for me (well, that's a relative term), my mechanic is a genius. He diagnosed the problem, then sent the turbo to South Florida to be reconditioned and sent the ruined exhaust elbow to another place in South Florida to have a custom stainless steel replacement made. Both came back looking like works of art, and the combined cost of both of them was about what one exhaust elbow costs from Cummins. My engine runs like new. Tracy the mechanic says that the riser is high enough to outlast me on the boat. It took 20 years for the problem to get bad, and he thinks I have at least that much time before it goes bad again.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

I have the same configuration and the factory installations can be a concern.
I reworked my port side last year as it was keeping me up at night. There was
almost no rise on the port engine and the off the shelf cast elbow makes quite
a mess as it rusts. Didn't think much of the flex hose connecting the heat exchanger
to the injection elbow either. When I was done I was able to locate a formed hose that
fit nicely after trimming. I also added a support bracket. Didn't think much of all that
weight just hanging off of the turbo. Haven't gotten to the other side yet but it is newer
and drains with the dripless being lower than the inlet but it is on my list.
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Nice job RC. I don't think that Albin was much different than any other production boat builder when it came to engine install and exhaust design .. use stock parts and done.

I was feeling the same as you with my single QSC in my 31 and redid mine. I replaced the stock riser and shower head with something custom from Marine Exhaust Systems out of Riviera, FL. No more midnight nightmares!
http://www.marine-exhaust.com/
3.jpg
2.jpg
13 mockup.jpg
After.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DKramer, Further to what others have posted - Go here and register and post up some good pics of your current setup.
http://www.sbmar.com/community/

Just this morning I replied to a post showing what 12 year old OEM wet elbows looked like after 12 years in brackish water.

RC, Nice improvement but it looks like there was still a bit of engine room height left unused?

Kevin, How did you connect the aft end of the surge tube? It looks like it goes back into "forbidden territory". Looks great.

And just to follow others with what's "under the hood"....here's my port redo with a Seaboard custom riser and surge tube a couple seasons back
port eng before and after.jpg
and the starboard side "before" and the fabrication with the engine room mock-up on the shop floor.
starboard in shop fabrication.jpg
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Kevin, How did you connect the aft end of the surge tube? It looks like it goes back into "forbidden territory". Looks great.
The aft end of the surge tube that I added has better access than it appears .. just a little bit of twisting and turning to get there. I was able to connect to the existing black corrugated wire enforced exhaust hose which I'd like to replace hose with corrugated wire enforced silicone, but ... big dollars for 6 ft ... $1,549!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:......replace with corrugated wire enforced silicone, but ... big dollars for 6 ft ... $1,549!
That is a "tad" pricey but IMO not what you would want anyway. Only use wire when you need to make a bend that would otherwise kink the non-wire hose or on suction/vacuum where you worry about hose collapse. Just go with non-wire certified wet exhaust hose. And then you can send to me that pile of cash leftover if it's really burning a hole in your pocket!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

RobS wrote:
RC, Nice improvement but it looks like there was still a bit of engine room height left unused?
Thanks,

Not as much room as the picture would imply. I may have been able to get a little more rise but
there is a balance with leaving some headroom for an overheat condition as well.

Chris
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Gotcha. What's your plan for insulation? Hardcoat or wrap?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

I just used wrap. Will probably have the next one made up though. Not much fun
to play with in a small space and it took the season before I didn't smell it on
occasion.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”