• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP-STE Water Pump Rebuild

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Yanmar 6LP-STE Water Pump Rebuild

Post by gfuller »

I'm contributing my process and a few pics to the group as I have not found a ton of info out there on this process. Please bear in mind that I am not a mechanic, so my methodology and procedure here may be a bit off.

Background:

During the survey, it was noted that there was a water leak at the water pump. Of course, the owner said that it was most likely the $8 gasket between the manifold and the pump... Surprisingly this was not the case. Instead, the water was leaking drip by drip at the window between the impeller and gear side.
After doing a bit of research on BoatDiesel I found that this is quite common and most folks had swapped their pumps out for a rebuilt one or whatnot.

Digging into it:

I did this procedure last weekend. Fired up the boat with garden hose in strainer (barely keeping up at idle) and was able to pinpoint the leak for the first time.

The hoses and manifold came off very easily. The pump was a slightly different story as it used two studs and has to be convinced a bit to come out when those studs are in place. I forsee this being more of a pain when I got to re-assemble so I removed both studs and picked up some M10 - 1.25 X 30mm stainless bolts with lock washers for reinstallation.

Once I got the pump out of the boat and onto the workbench (i.e granite countertop island in the kitchen on top of an Amazon box) I was able to inspect the pump. The next steps were as follows:

1. Remove the 4 screws and plate covering the impeller/
2. Yank the impeller out with needle nose pliers.
3. Remove the nut that holds the gear on. (this was torqued on with 8 million ft/lbs. I used a 9/16" socket for the impeller side to hold the shaft with 22mm socket over the nut on the other side)
4. Use a gear puller to get the gear off.
5. Tap the shaft with rubber mallet from the impeller side to force the bearings out the oil side. This took a while and there are probably much better ways to accomplish this but I'm limited on tools.
6. Inspect/remove the seals.

The seals were easy to remove. I found that they are garter seals with springs. The oil side was fine but the water side was rusty and had a crack in the seal (hence the leaking).
I ordered a rebuild kit that included all seals, bearings, manifold gasket, o-rings, that weird ceramic looking spacer, etc... for around $110. I'm really hoping it has the SS garter spring to prolong the life of this seal.

Below are the pics in order. I'm getting the rebuild parts today and I'll post pics of it going back together once complete.

Hope this can help someone in the future, overall a pretty easy job relatively speaking.

Water Leak while running

Pump Removed

Impeller

Gear pulled, now need to remove RUGGED snap ring.

Snap Ring out

After tapping shaft out

Housing and bad seal

Good seal on oil side

Spacer and o-ring after bad seal has been removed (these just pop out). The o-ring is free floating on the shaft and I believe just keeps water away from the oil seal in the event of a leak.

Bad seal.....

Spacer removed

Oil seal removed

The bearings will be pulled from the shaft as well and replaced. I'll update hopefully in the next couple of days.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Yanmar 6LP-STE Water Pump Rebuild

Post by RobS »

I like your style - Nice photo-documentary and great use of the camera!

That impeller is hammered, any idea what how long it was in service? Perhaps a super long lay-up?

At least it looks to be all there and you don't have to go chasing any missing pcs...

This one was 3 seasons and a few hundred hours..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Good post. I've just rebuilt three without even thinking about doing a "How To" post. The main cause of failure is the shaft seal letting go on the water side which leads to bearing failure. One of those I had just rebuilt also destroyed the helical gear which lead to catastrophic failure of the bearing. I had to grind the bearing out as it split in half when I tried to remove it from housing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Ouch! How did that end up destroying the helical gear? was it lack of support from the seal on the water side? If so, it must have been leaking like crazy for quite some time?

That impeller is hammered, any idea what how long it was in service? Perhaps a super long lay-up?
It actually isn't AS bad as it looks in the housing.

Definitely a few tears though.

I'm not sure how long it was sitting or what happened prior (this is why I'm just going through and trying to replace as much as possible!)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The transition from the pump bore to the cam on your pump is not looking good, okay on the left but not good on the right. That will chew up an impeller.
wear.jpg
For comparison - Here's the pump where I removed that "like new" 3 year old impeller, much better.
no wear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

How is it that both pics have vanes going in opposite directions?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:How is it that both pics have vanes going in opposite directions?
Trick photography..

Just the effect of the back and forth motion of toying with the pump upon removal. Once it's reinstalled and spun in service they immediately re-orientate.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

RobS wrote:
Trick photography..

Just the effect of the back and forth motion of toying with the pump upon removal. Once it's reinstalled and spun in service they immediately re-orientate.

I was going to mention in my initial post the reasoning for this knowing that someone would notice but decided to sit back and see who was first to bite!

About that cam..... I was thinking the exact thing, Rob but seeing as it spins clockwise I figured it has an "easy transition" onto the cam and sort of drops off the ledge on the other side I thought it would be ok. Do you think I should replace the cam? are the new ones tapered down enough to not have any "ledge" or wear? You make a very valid point and I'm curious as to why the edges seemed to have worn unevenly.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

gfuller wrote:
RobS wrote:
Trick photography..

I was going to mention in my initial post the reasoning for this knowing that someone would notice but decided to sit back and see who was first to bite!

About that cam..... I was thinking the exact thing, Rob but seeing as it spins clockwise I figured it has an "easy transition" onto the cam and sort of drops off the ledge on the other side I thought it would be ok. Do you think I should replace the cam? are the new ones tapered down enough to not have any "ledge" or wear? You make a very valid point and I'm curious as to why the edges seemed to have worn unevenly.
About the cam...I'll be rebuilding my spare pump soon. And if the transition is rough, It wouldn't hurt to smooth it with a Dremel.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by trueworldmarine »

Has anyone experienced problems with the Korean built JMP YM06LPB replacement pump for the 6LP Yanmar. I ran with this pump for under a year I started experiencing water exhaust alarm issue at 3000K RPMS water flow out at exhaust was 0 when I backed off on throttle down to 2000K RPM alarm went off I can not go over 3000K RPMS with out this occurring.I have checked for restricted water flow from the Kingston cock right up to the raw water pump I will be replacing All raw water pick up line hoses if this will remedy the problem I am also rebuilding a older JP pump that was manufactured in Sweden to see if that makes a difference. Would anyone out there have any suggestions what's going on.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

You sure it’s not a faulty flow sensor? Are you seeing temps rise etc?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Never tried the Korean pumps, but have had the original Yanmar Pumps (made by Jonson Pumps) rebuilt by a shop in Tampa for a little over $300.
Have also bought a brand new spare pump with manifold and gear from a Yanmar dealer in Sweden for $519 plus $20 shipping, a bit less expensive than the same pump from a US Yanmar dealer.

Had a hell of a time removing the pump from under deck on my 2001 Engine box as the nuts were stripped, no socket or wrench would bite. Spent untold hours laying on my belly half under deck to get the blasted thing off. :shock:

Had to file the nut down, then remove it, then remove the pump. :roll:
D9D9EAFF-5482-4C1E-B6AD-2619D9A4CAC2.jpeg
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

would you have any idea what the torque is when replacing that gear nut. I plan on using a air gun ratchet I don't want to damage the tapered shaft.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

trueworldmarine wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:33 pm would you have any idea what the torque is when replacing that gear nut. I plan on using a air gun ratchet I don't want to damage the tapered shaft.
Not sure, but a we used a few seconds on an air hammer drill. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
trueworldmarine
Mate
Mate

OK finished rebuilding my pump today only difficulty with getting the bearings started on the shaft otherwise it went smoothly I used silicone grease through out except oiled the bearings. Day of reckoning will arrive next week when I get my new exhaust houses in. Hope to fire it up before Labor Day.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”