• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LP-STE Timing Belt Replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

6LP-STE Timing Belt Replacement

Post by gfuller »

Hi All,

I've been scouring the forums here and there is a lot of good info on the subject, but not much around whether or not the engine or fuel tank needs to be pulled to have adequate access to perform this task. I'm at about 1200 hours and I'm not sure if this has been done or not so I'm going to proceed with the belt, tensioner, valve clearances.

What are your experiences? I've been quoted at around $500 in parts and 4-5 hours in labor at $105/hr. The mechanic said the access doesn't look great (which we all know). I'm thinking maybe the removal of the engine box may make things a little easier but that fuel tank is still really close to the front of the engine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 6LP-STE Timing Belt Replacement

Post by RobS »

These boats were handmade and I've have heard that the tank to engine clearances vary and some can and some cannot be done. I did mine when I had the engine out for tranny issues so I cannot comment but I think more times than not it can be done in the boat. What helps with the engine box is to pop the lower clips out of the spring lifts and pop them off the lower ball joints and let the box sit back on the deck. Be careful is is very heavy and becomes flimsy on those rear hinges with the lifts removed.

If you can get that done for ~$1K parts and labor it seems reasonable to me.......

Here's a shot of the box sitting back on the deck with the lifts dangling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

I have had my timing belt and tensioner replaced twice now - each time it was about $1,200 and they were able to do the work without moving the fuel tank or engine. Like Rob pointed out, you get much better access with the engine box "resting" on the deck. Good luck and keep us posted!

Anthony
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

Thanks guys!

I Just got back to the mechanic to see when he can check it out. Hopefully it's pretty straight forward!

On to the next problems...
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

gfuller wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 pm Thanks guys!

I Just got back to the mechanic to see when he can check it out. Hopefully it's pretty straight forward!

On to the next problems...
Hoping it is pretty straight forward, got the 1,000 service coming up in a week or two and might as well do the timing belt as it is due in June anyway.
I considered removing the box completely, 6 bolts and fairly straight forward..?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Had mine done last season - right around $1k. I disconnected the hatch pistons (that keep the engine box cover open when raised) and he had plenty of access. Definitely straightforward from what he told me.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

It was not an issue on my 2001. $1000 is about right. Don.
PilgrimPaul
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater Yacht Club Cleveland, Ohio

Post by PilgrimPaul »

2000 TE 28 with Yanmar powerplant; had to pull the engine to inspect/service/replace timing belt. Not enough room to even open the cover with the fuel tank right next door.
Limelight
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Schooner Cove, Nanoose Bay, BC Canada

Post by Limelight »

I replaced mine a couple of years back - saw on this forum that you might need to cut your socket in half if it is a tight fit, which mine was, in order to get at the crankshaft in order to rotate it. I did that and had just enough room to get the socket and bar in there in order to rotate the crank.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Do the tensioner as well. I also had the injection timing and valves adjusted. Price sounds good...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

catalina_mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am Do the tensioner as well. I also had the injection timing and valves adjusted. Price sounds good...
Did the tensioner too, but got a sticker shock, at $280, see post on Yanmar pricing in Fort Lauderdale.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11618&p=76277#p76277
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

7E5101DA-9E36-4F7F-A04D-ED963DD5378B.jpeg
Popped off the bottom of the struts for better access, mechanic was happy, he had room to work. The whole operation took about 2.5 hours. (Plus another hour for the mixing elbow and the alternator belts.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mar Azul
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mago Point , Waterford, Connecticut

Post by Mar Azul »

I did the timing belt on my 2000 w/engine box This weekend. It actually turned out to be one of the easier projects that I’ve done on it so far, just a little over two hours. I popped the hinge pins on the engine box and removed it completely for better access. I was able to find the tensioner for $51 online ( Toyota part# 13540-17011 ) Also replaced the exhaust riser and mixing elbow with stainless steel HDI marine products.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Mar Azul wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 am I did the timing belt on my 2000 w/engine box This weekend. It actually turned out to be one of the easier projects that I’ve done on it so far, just a little over two hours. I popped the hinge pins on the engine box and removed it completely for better access. I was able to find the tensioner for $51 online ( Toyota part# 13540-17011 ) Also replaced the exhaust riser and mixing elbow with stainless steel HDI marine products.
What is your source for the Toyota parts?
(Cheapest tensioner I found on eBay was in the Middle East, possible pirate part, not sure but Toyota parts would work, Yanmar is pricing itself out of the market)
Mar Azul
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mago Point , Waterford, Connecticut

Post by Mar Azul »

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... 17011.html The timing belt and idler I Purchased from my local Yanmar dealer. The timing belt was in YanMar packaging but the belt was stamped Toyota. I saw the stuff on eBay from the Middle East but didn’t trust it either.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”