• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A/C circulating pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

A/C circulating pump

Post by Russell »

The raw water circulation pump on my air conditioner needs replacing. It is a March LC-3CP-MD which is quite pricey at $240. There is a Koolair PM-500 replacement unit that sells for $178 on eBay, and possibly less by bidding. Is anyone familiar with this unit? The price is attractive but I would hate to install something inferior that just causes problems.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: A/C circulating pump

Post by RobS »

Russ, never heard of that Koolair pump.

What failed, the electrical end or pump end? Did it run dry and damage the pump? Maybe you can repair it, here's a parts diagram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Rob, I purchased what they call the wet end kit that replaces the impeller and housing but the motor doesn't seem to turn fast enough to pump much water. It makes noise and maybe the bearings are worn. Luckily the weather is cool enough that the AC is not needed. Most of the boats down here keep them running full time to keep down the humidity and mold. This one may simply have worn out.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Rossell,

With a small electrical motor that sounds as if it is in pretty much constant use, you may find it worthwhile to get into the brush end of the motor. Remove the carbon brushes, clean and polish the commutator with crocus paper, blow out any dust and then replace the brushes. Check they are making a good connection to the commutator (Quick tip - leave a strip of 2000 grit under the brush, grit side to the brush. Move the rotor back and forth by hand to ensure a good shaped fit of the brush, then remove the 2000 grit). This sounds like a lot pf work, but it actually isn't. You should be able to get replacement brushes from the manufacturer.

Also, and this is an RN submarine "last #@^* *^! stand" maintenance trick; (which I have used but for which I take no responsibility).

1) Disconnect the electric motor from the power (Preferably to a workbench),
2) Give the motor a good wash out with fairly hot soapy water (I know it sounds crazy - but it works).Note: don't get control wires, solenoids, capacitors etc. wet.
3) Rinse out very thoroughly with distilled water (I mean really thoroughly).
4) Dry with forced air (Hair dryer / fan?).
5) Clean the commutator
6) Replace the brushes (see above for seating idea).
7) Make sure everything is 105% dry before reconnecting (use a multimeter to ground) .

Reconnect, stand back and get someone else to switch on.

Hopefully you will be saying "Voila!!!" within seconds of power being applied.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Doug
Thanks for the tip. I may try that later. Unfortunately I already purchased the Koolair unit and went to the boat to install it this morning while it was cool. Just to check again, I turned the unit on to heat and it worked perfectly, pumping water at a good clip and making a nice hum. Turned it to AC and it pumped water just fine. So packed up the stuff and came home. I wonder if the cool weather has something to do with it so if it doesn't work when it is hot, I will see if I can clean it according to your instructions. I did get the Koolair on eBay at the opening bid of $129 over the holidays and I will keep it as a backup. Thanks
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Glad to hear that all seems well now - I only apply drastic maintenance when its needed (when isn't it though?), and when a bigger hammer won't work. My experience with ACUs, such as it is, is that they are fickle beasts at best, and only really play up when the temp. and humidity get above 90 degrees and 90 percent respectively. Good job on the Ebay bid. Hope you have a very cool summer.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Probably a good time to do a flush of the system. You may have had something growing in there causing back pressure and a loss of flow (and a struggling pump). Just a thought.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks, Doug
I already did that flush and got out what appeared to be mud wasp nests in the opening. Blew it out with a hose and it was all clear. The pump worked fine for a few months and then quit last spring but it was time to go back north. I thought it was the wet end because of the noise and ordered that part when I got back down here in November. If it goes again I have the replacement and may try to repair the old one too.

By the way have you had any thoughts about selling your 35 with the Volvo D6's?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Russell wrote:Thanks, Doug
I already did that flush and got out what appeared to be mud wasp nests in the opening. Blew it out with a hose and it was all clear. The pump worked fine for a few months and then quit last spring but it was time to go back north. I thought it was the wet end because of the noise and ordered that part when I got back down here in November. If it goes again I have the replacement and may try to repair the old one too.
I kinda figured you had - but it was worth mentioning just in case. :)
Russell wrote:
By the way have you had any thoughts about selling your 35 with the Volvo D6's?
Over the summer I had a conversation with a guy that had a brand new custom Sabre 48. Beautiful boat. When the boat was close to being finished Sabre asked him if they could display it at one of the big Florida shows. He agreed.

Shortly before the show a rep from Sabre called him and asked - "So, what will you sell her for?" Remember - he's having this boat custom built. It's been in the works for well over a year. He thinks she's nuts and says "THE BOAT IS NOT FOR SALE!!" She says "I understand. But we get people at these shows with more money than sense and they just might offer a really big number to get a boat right away. So - how big a number would you want?"

He and his wife picked a number - and got an offer that came close, but didn't quite make it.

That's a long way of me saying - sure, she's for sale. But only for a number bigger than a sane person would offer. (Hell - we're boaters - so sanity isn't really an issue!!) :wink:

There's definately a Sonny V in our future. But for now she suits us well. We're actually in the process of prepping our house for sale (second attempt) with plans to move up to Essex CT. Once that happens we'll look to upgrade. I'd LOVE a 55+ footer with 3 staterooms! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I am not one of those people with more money than sense but I am thinking about moving up and I love my Volvo D6 engine. Your 35 would be ideal and maybe the only one with the D6's. Some Tiara 32's with D6 engines are coming onto the used market and Rampage 33's with Caterpillar C7's too. An Albin 31 with a single Cummins QSB would also be ideal but also rare. I should never have looked at that 31 last year. I was happy with my 28 until I saw that. Maybe I should look at smaller boats as a cure.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:... I'd LOVE a 55+ footer with 3 staterooms! :)
Doug, I've always found you a tad crazier than the average folk, so how about this one, it would be quite fitting (be sure to read the description) :wink:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/St ... HzpnlMrJhE

Russ, Considering a twin screw? I would have never put my money on that one...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
DougSea wrote:... I'd LOVE a 55+ footer with 3 staterooms! :)
Doug, I've always found you a tad crazier than the average folk, so how about this one, it would be quite fitting (be sure to read the description) :wink:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/St ... HzpnlMrJhE
Oh. My. GOD!!

Do you think it comes with the horn!! Lovey will be so excited!!

http://www.boomblasters.com/sounds/cadd ... d_horn.mp3
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Russell wrote:I am not one of those people with more money than sense but I am thinking about moving up and I love my Volvo D6 engine. Your 35 would be ideal and maybe the only one with the D6's. Some Tiara 32's with D6 engines are coming onto the used market and Rampage 33's with Caterpillar C7's too. An Albin 31 with a single Cummins QSB would also be ideal but also rare. I should never have looked at that 31 last year. I was happy with my 28 until I saw that. Maybe I should look at smaller boats as a cure.
Can't argue on the D6's. Love them!

We were pretty happy with our 28 until will got on John and Marcia's 31 at one of the early rendezvous. Same feel but so much more space!! And then the 35...heaven! :)

I'll keep my eyes open for you.
Doug
Sonny IV
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Rob you are right that I have trepidations about a twin screw. The 31 with a single 450 or 500 hp would be ideal but for the 35 I think twins is better. There is a 2006 Albin 35 CB for sale in Cape Canaveral but it has a Cummins QSB 380 hp engine and I think that is too small. It looks a little rough too but I might drive up there sometime.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:Rob you are right that I have trepidations about a twin screw. The 31 with a single 450 or 500 hp would be ideal but for the 35 I think twins is better. There is a 2006 Albin 35 CB for sale in Cape Canaveral but it has a Cummins QSB 380 hp engine and I think that is too small. It looks a little rough too but I might drive up there sometime.
Yeah she's "rough" for sure... But as far as power, no the QSB380 is good power in the 35CB, it's a very easy planing hull. Here's sea trial data I put together on one I surveyed a few years ago..

(I was going to apologize for hijacking this thread but then I realized it's your thread :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”