• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seacock type

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

Seacock type

Post by pmcn@hotmail.com »

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 1984 36DC. I'm in the process of going through the boat. I checked three or four seacocks and all will not move. Boat is out of the water. I could not read what type of seacock it was from the fitting itself and I could not find anything online to help. It has a teardrop shaped handle on one side, a large nut on the other with what appears to be a thumb screw. It is bronze. Attached is a not very good picture. Can anyone identify it?
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Seacock type

Post by RobS »

Yes, not a very good picture. It is what's known as a tapered cone seacock. Could be a Wilcox Crittenden (will be embossed with a W and C on the body, the W and C are on top of each other like the N and Y for the NY Yankees) or could be an overseas knock-off. Are you looking to replace it or service it? To free it up loosen the nut (back it off flush with the end of the shaft) and give it a few hits of the hammer. Report back. They are highly serviceable, can add grease fittings (temporary for greasing, not permanent due to disimiliar metals) and lapping the mating services but replacement may result in a better night's sleep...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Seacock type

Post by catalina_mike »

It is my opinion to replace the thru hull and seacock. Tese are the items that sink boats. If it was not maintained over the years you might be playing with fire. I used off the shelf parts from West Marine but next haul I will replace with the OEM ones that allow any direction for open and close. I have a old one at my place in San Clemente and can not give you the name at this time.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”