• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

propane tank

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dosched
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart, FL

propane tank

Post by dosched »

I just replaced my electric/alcohol stove on my 1988 32+2 . I'm trying to figure out the best spot for the propane tank. Looking at putting a 10# tank in the cockpit on the port side just aft of the storage locker. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.
Don
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: propane tank

Post by Jeremyvmd »

You are more likely to get a response if you post in the maintenence or command bridge sections of the forum
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Be very careful! Propane is a very heavy gas that learks along the lowest point possible. Vessels that are manufactured have a special setup for the tank and regulator setup that allows direct venting out the bottom of the holder over the side of the vessel. Fireplaces that are supplied with propane gas have to have a flat base for just this reason. Even a 1/2 to 1' ash trap in the base will hold enough vapor to make a big boom. Spend a bunch of time figuring this out to protect yourself.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Don't know if I'm doing this picture thing correctly, but I put in the propane tanks on my 32+2. I got 2 six lb. tanks as they left room for the storage locker to open. They are attached by a rubber strap from the Davis Co. called "mighty Fist". I've attached a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

I'm not sure if that qualifies as "correctly vented". You may be well served to consult an expert. Looking closer on my 32+2, it seems there's ways for a propane leak to work its way into confined spaces.... especially if the vessel is stationary and in still air.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

They do make propane tank "boxes" that will require venting over the side of your vessel. The box allows for a single hole, low on one side to be vented out over the side. I would be very careful - as that picture looks like the tanks are directly over some kind of locker. Any leak would simply allow gas to move down into that locker and build up - possibly to the bilge? Propane will flow to the lowest point - and if that locker has access to your engine room...I woudl suggest adjusting that set-up.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I know you guys look at thing a bit different to us Brits, but here the use of LPG (liquid petroleum gas), Propane and Butane is very common. Not knowing the true numbers but I would guess at least 95%. That said we have to get our boats a safety certificate that last for 3 years before renewal, if the boat is used on inshore waters. I understand you have a similar thing with your coast guard. Anyway as you can see by the attached photos, my 2 gas cylinders are in a locker in the `pilothouse`. Looking closely you can see the front of the locker is completely boxed in, and if you look between the cylinders there are two holes discharging over the side. You might make out the cylinders are fixed with a strap. You can see the reducing regulator on one of the cylinders, and the thick special rubber pipe going to a fixed copper pipe system. Where the rubber pipe meets the copper pipe, there is a bleed attachment where a gas engineer can connect his rubber pipe to check for any leaks in the system. Just past this connection is an inline bubble tester. For me to test the system, I light my stove let it warm up, then blow out the flame. All appliances have to be fitted with flame out protectors. After a short while the protectors should shut off the gas. I now press and hold down the bubble tester red knob, if any bubbles go through its little oil container I know there is a leak or one of the shut offs is not closing properly.
In all fairness we do get the occasional accident with LPG, but they are very few and far between. I cannot recall any last year.
IMG_0234.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

The 2 tanks sit right next to the cockpit drain. With a fume detector below, I'm really not worried.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would like to see something to keep the gas out of the bilge with your setup. Gas is just as likely to work its way down there as it is to the overboard drain! If your comfortable with it, its your boat your life, but I wouldn't sleep well at night with that setup, nor would I consider it "correctly vented"!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I keep my propane tank (for the barbeque) on the swim platform. The Albin dealer who sold me the boat made a fitting to accept the base of the tank, and the tank is held by two bungee cords. For the stove in the galley, I still use the one Albin supplied and it uses bottled butane.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “Albin Maintenance”