• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Concern with the MD17C in our Alkbin-25

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Concern with the MD17C in our Alkbin-25

Post by NickScheuer »

Our Albin-25 is on the hard in our driveway, so in order to change the motor's water coolant over to non-toxic antifreeze, I disconnected the scavenging hose from the through-hull and positioned it in a bucket of coolant. I had earlier removed the floor panel under the helm, and when I turned the key to start, I observed a pair of yellow-white sparks (about 1cm dia) flew off the starboard side of the motor by the battery connections while emitting a "POP-POP" sound. I immediately turned the key off. After a short pause I again turned the key to start and another pair of big round sparks "popped" off the starter connections ( I believe that was the location, but am not 100% certain). However, when I continued to hold the key at "start", the engine fired quickly enough and began sucking antifreeze out of the bucket with no more sparks appearing. When my wife, stationed at the exhaust with another bucket, told me that the outpouring coolant was sufficiently concentrated to withstand freezing, I shut the motor down.

It would appear that I need to have work done by a competent Volvo-Penta Mechanic next Spring. Any thoughts on the part of MD17C Cognoscenti here?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Concern with the MD17C in our Alkbin-25

Post by Tree »

To me, it sounds like you just have a poor connection. Remove the terminals and give them a good clean and try it again.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

So, Nick. What did you find? Tree's assessment sounds right. And once you start checking loose connections, don't stop. Just be careful with wrenches on the hot wire(s).
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Batteries are out, so no hot wires. Temps are presently below zero and the boat is tarped for the Winter, so I won't be doing anything until Spring.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Ah, yes. Rockford. The mother of my children hailed from Crystal Lake, may she rest in peace. I completely understand. Go pour some more eggnog.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nick, let us know when you dig out. I have learned a couple things about the 17C this winter, though yours sounds like starter wiring. If the big battery cable comes loose, it is not far to grounded parts and it is always hot, when connected to the battery. Bench testing the starter is easy. Removing it from the boat, not so easy. You do yoga, right?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Thanks for the offer WillieC.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”