• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Gauge

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

6S2344
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: FALMOUTH MASS.

Fuel Gauge

Post by 6S2344 »

I took my boat out today for its second shake down . I noticed right away that my fuel gauge read empty. When i throttled down it worked somewhat. Soon after the engine started to surge sporadically. When it surged the gauge would also start to jump around. Gauge reads 1/3 i know it has at least 20 gallons that i put in in cans.
Any ideas? First i thought fuel problem, then electrical. Racor and engine filter have about 2 hrs on them. 4 cyl Lehman.
Thank You. Matt
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Fuel Gauge

Post by rebuckley »

A couple questions to clarify maybe?
- Electric fuel pump or is it mechanical?
- what kind of sender for your fuel gauge? (electric or manual)

Without other thoughts - I am thinking you may have a grounding issue somewhere (or loose connection soon to be a major issue (no power))- causing an electric surge. Maybe try a meter on the back of the gauge to see what happens when there is a surge/jump around?
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
6S2344
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: FALMOUTH MASS.

Post by 6S2344 »

ALBIN RNGINE (2).jpg
Have since submitting this post, found fuel filter is clogged. After only 2 hrs. And batteries have 8 volts in them.
Need new voltage regulator, And have to dispose of all fuel in tank and replace with new. Hope that does it.
Where do i find a new regulator? This is a photo of it. Thanx, Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have heard of people just replacing clogged filters until the fuel is clean. Three or four filters is a lot cheaper than paying to dispose of fuel and purchasing more. When I purchased my first Albin, a 97 model, it had been sitting for a year. The broker added Algae X to the fuel and told me to watch the racor filter. It never clogged but I changed it after bringing the boat to my dock and it was black. After that it was ok and I never had a problem.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”