• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil change on Albin 28 FD with Yanmar 6lpa

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Oil change on Albin 28 FD with Yanmar 6lpa

Post by recppd »

Ok, let me preface this by first stating that I searched this topic before posting, so no bashes...

I recently changed the oil for the first time in my Albin 28 FD with Yan 315 6LPA. The process was a nightmare to say the least as the oil sump pump took OVER an hour to suck what it could from the oil pan using the thin dipstick tube method. Not to mention the dipstick tube popped out of the sump pump tube and coated me with oil! And yes, I did start the engine and let it warm up for about 10 mins. before I started...

SO, when the oil sump pump finally seemed to be sucking air, I shut off the pump and replaced the oil filter - another fun job on a Flush Deck. Afterwards I added 10 of the 11 quarts of 15W40 oil (used Rotella Triple) the manual calls for, leaving some room for adjustment afterwards. Then I started the engine for several minutes and bumped the throttle to 1000 RPMs. Afterwards I checked the dipstick only to find the oil level about AN INCH above the FULL line. So back to sucking out some of the fresh oil...

Anyways, during the process I noticed that the long dipstick on the starboard side, which I used to suck the used oil from the engine, also had a threaded nipple at the top. From what I read it is the same thread as a garden hose. What I want to know is if connecting a garden hose is the preferred method to remove old oil over sticking tiny tube down the dipstick? Seems like it's there for a reason???

Any help with future oil changes is greatly appreciated...
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Re: Oil change on Albin 28 FD with Yanmar 6lpa

Post by socalmike »

Yes. Those threads are for an attachment of a hose to suck the oil out. Need to get the oil hot to extract. 10 min at idle won't work. Should take 5 minutes max. I have a manual extractor. I can never get all the oil out is the only issue I have.
recppd
First Mate
First Mate

Post by recppd »

I figured that, or maybe thought there was a dipstick that screwed down :) Anyways, is there a "proper" way to extract the oil from the dipstick? I'd rather screw on a hose and use the sump pump rather than sticking the small tube down there. Honestly, I'd rather remove the oil pan nut (if that's possible) and install a 90 degree fitting and then attach a 8'-10' hose so I could suck it out of the oil pan. Does anyone use that method??? I see Jabsco makes a similar hose kit...
Rob C.
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Have you tried using the search function. A lot of this has been covered.

Here's one thread where I posted pics of the oil drain hose I installed under the pan, which is the same location the dipstick tube gets connected but the hose is easy to just connect to a pump and has a greater diameter

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1915

You do need to get the diesel engine under some load before she will heat up which aids in easy removal.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Sliding the plastic tube inside the dip stick will work but the area the oil is sucked through is very small. I changed mine using the larger fitting and it went great. I use a small hose to collect oil samples.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I've always changed oil via the dipstick with no problem. I'm not a fan of drains fitted to the sump as I've had those leak before and they've been a PITA to get to and sort out!

You need the engine up to full temp to stand a chance of sucking the oil out via the dipstick as it has been previously mentioned. There isn't really any technique with it but be sure you've got a good seal on the suction pump pipe otherwise you'll just be pulling air.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I use this kit in the link, you can find it cheaper, this just had the most info. It screws right to the dipstick and if the oil is warm, it will empty her in about 3 minutes. once you suck her dry, disconnect the battery clips before you touch anything else. I undid the hose first one time and as I was tucking it in around the pump, i hit the switch in revers and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment before I could get it turned back off. The 30 minute oil change became a 2 hour wipe down. Good luck!!

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsco--p ... ecordNum=8
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Dale999
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Stuart

Post by Dale999 »

I use this Oil Extractor from West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... ecordNum=2

Comes with rubber connectors that fit over the dip stick tube. Sucks oil out of 6LP in about 3 minutes. Works great.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I tried something today that might make this job a little easier. We all know about the dreaded oil filter being upside down. After the usual ritual of stuffing rags and paper towels in every possible crevice I looked things over and thought, "what if i was to poke a hole in the top of the filter, would it drain out?" I took a small philips head screw driver and smacked it with a heavy wrench, creating a small hole. Waited about 3 to 5 minutes, spun off the filter, not one drop leaked!! Turned the pump back on and sucked the remaining oil out. what a difference.
Give it a try.

PS: I loosened the filter so I could spin it off by hand before poking the hole.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
recppd
First Mate
First Mate

Post by recppd »

Ok, so 2017 season has made me a little wiser. I rebuilt the oil exchange system by putting on a new hose with a garden hose adapter to screw on to the top of the dipstick, and changed the impeller in the Jabsco pump. The impeller, as I found out, had 2 broken vanes. Anyways, hooked it up and it sucked the oil out like no tomorrow. Live and learn...
Rob C.
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”