• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lehman 120 - issues stopping engine

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Lehman 120 - issues stopping engine

Post by rebuckley »

Hello - I have the Lehman 120 diesel, and the "newer" stop solenoid attached. When I ran the boat the past couple of times, I was not able to get the engine to stop by simply using the stop button, but had to manually hold the solenoid lever. In bringing the boat over to have it hauled for the winter, my idle, when fully down throttle, did seem to sound a little higher than usual I believe. I had to hold the stop button and actually shift into gear to finally stall out the engine.
My question is where I should think about beginning my trouble shoot - any advice is welcome. To give a little more detail - the solenoid seems to fully engage from the button, as even when I manually held it yesterday, it did not stop. I was not able to manually push the throttle any lower, although it was still attached to the cable, so maybe that is the issue?
Looking at the solenoid and the cable attachments at the "stop lever" (not sure what it is called - the lever actuated by the stop solenoid) and the throttle cable and throttle lever - they appear that they can be calibrated to a degree, by loosening/tightening the nuts that are in the linkage. But I only hope it is that simple.
Would there be any other thing I should investigate that may be keeping the engine running, other than the stop solenoid needing adjustment, or the throttle cable being adjusted?
Thank You
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Lehman 120 - issues stopping engine

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I have no experience with the lehman 120, but if there is a linkage and your concerned if the solenoid is fully activating the stop lever I would disconnect the linkage and see if the motor stops with the linkage off (aka activate it manually) if it does, mark at what point it stopped the motor, reconnect the linkage and see if the solenoid closes it enough, or if you manually activate it, if the lever moves to the point that stopped the motor with the linkage off - if that makes any sense...lol

other than that sadly I cannot help you, hopefully someone with Lehman experience will chime in. If the motor is idling higher too, it could just be a symptom of a larger issue...I dealt with a similar (ok not really but sorta, lol) issue in my vette, you would turn the key off but the motor wouldn't turn off immediately, would do this stuttering and stalling thing until it turned off. Turned out to be just a key cylinder that was worn (it was original from '63), and allowing a short, so the motor still got a small amount of juice and wouldn't turn off. Hasn't done it since replacement
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello, I think jeremyvmd has some good thoughts, being at least somewhat familier with the 120, I cannot think of an easy answer. I would bounce that one off Brian Smith at American Diesel, Hes only a phone call away.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

To me it also sounds like a linkage adjustment issue.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Figured I should close the loop - it was a linkage issue - simple tighten the main nut at the bottom of the "boot" on the solenoid arm. Works like a charm.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”