• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Type A ATF for Hurth trans.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Type A ATF for Hurth trans.

Post by DCatSea »

Time to give my 1984 Hurth transmission a really thorough fluid change, and I am trying to find Type A ATF because this is what is originally called for. I am led to believe that modern ATFs contain chemicals that may be less compatible with the older technology in a Hurth, so I'm happy to get back to basics.

However, "A [post 1970] moratorium on whale oil [which was used as a friction modifier in pre-1970 ATF] at that time prevented the continued production of older ATF such as the original DEXRON formulation (Type B), and the Type A which preceded it. Vintage Chrysler products (Dodge, Plymouth, etc.) used Type A fluid, which is generally difficult to obtain now. It turns out that Type A was basically a nearly 50/50 mix of Type F (Ford) and Dexron (GM),[citation needed] so if you have a pre-1990 Chrysler vehicle, you can mix Type F and Dexron to get a near-match for type A. General Motors began marketing Dexron II Type C and later Dexron II Type D to replace the fluids which were made from whale oil.[10]" Wikipedia,

I am dubious about mixing Dexron and Type F correctly. Type A ATF is available online, but as always, I bow to the superior knowledge exhibited by AOG members regarding modern equivalents and technicalities.

Your inputs on ATF are welcomed. Thanks.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “Albin Maintenance”