• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Muddy Rudder

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Chris20fan
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Mobile, Al

Muddy Rudder

Post by Chris20fan »

I'm looking to buy a 28Te and have seen a few of interest on yacht world, Im looking at one in Clearwater FL named the Muddy Rudder and was wandering if the owner was a member of this site? I was just trying to do some homework, it looks to be a decent price for the boat but it has Volvo power in it. I have heard mixed reviews on that motor any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Re: Muddy Rudder

Post by irishwake »

What year is the boat? Which Volvo engine?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

That engine is rock solid - the thing to watch for on those range of volvo's is the oil cooler. When they let go, they let go and there is nothing in the service interval about checking the aluminium casing that fails.

Shes an old boat at 22 years old but looks in good shape, price seems high to me and you will find with that engine the boat will seem underpowered as it is only 230bhp.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sounds like the oil cooler is seawater cooled like the Yanmar 6LP, not coolant cooled like the Cummins B ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

They are Rob. The case is made of aluminium and it's a machines face to face seal against the engine block. As a result the aluminium corrodes over time and warps and when they fail, they generally dump the contents of the sump in the bilge. Not cheap to replace as you have to buy the entire unit at the thick end of £1000. Sadly, unless you pull the cooler there is no way of knowing it is about to let go.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Chris20fan
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Chris20fan »

Thanks for the info guy's the boat is a 94 and the engine is a KAMD-42B, it shows 16knt cruise and 21knt wot, I was looking at another one about the same age with the Cummins 6bta5.9 engine that was listed at 250 hp but I noticed a discussion on hear about that engine sucking water into the turbo?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea the spillover height on some 28s with the Cummins is too low so they can suck water back up the exhaust and cause turbo and engine damage. I have zero personal information we my boat has a peninsular. Been very happy with the level of service I have gotten from them!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Boat looks well equipped and clean, sea trial and seperate engine survey should reveal any issues, when I bought my 96 with a Penninsular 300hp I paid an extra $600 I think for an engine survey that took several hours and then did a normal survey with a different surveyer, money well spent, lack of maintenance was the only issue revealed , I got the price down several thousand dollars , boat runs great, I'm on season three, good luck,Pete
Chris20fan
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Chris20fan »

Thanks again for all the info guy's, look forward to becoming an Abin owner in the near future, I have heard nothing but good things about these boats.

Return to “General Discussion”