• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Noise levels

dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Noise levels

Post by dabeachman »

Does anyone know how the noise levels are for the 28TE vs. the 31 TE. Do you know what year they started doing a better job of insulating?
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Noise levels

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine is a 98 and has a significant amount of soundproofing (it was optional increased soundproofing). The noise levels are reasonable, I've never brought a db meter on board to be honest
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Both my 28 and 31 had full insulation packages and noise levels were and are reasonable. The 28 engine was outside of the pilot house and with the 31 the engine is right under foot and inside.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dabeachman »

So when looking at and or buying a used one how can I tell if it has the full package or something less. I have been on several 28's that are screamin loud.
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine has insulation on the entire underside of the deck, all hatches, all bulkheads, etc. Best way to know is to see if they have a build sheet. Also everyone's opinion of loud is different, what are you comparing it to? What motors they have? Did you check for sound insulation on them?
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

There is decent discussion on the 28TE noise levels in the "engine noise" thread below your post. I concure with
Jeremy, in that, the 28 is fairly well insulated and that the pilot house noise levels are reasonable. My 2001 has all of the insulation mentioned in Jeremy's post above. I also removed the battery/engine room bulkhead (simply remove the four screws in the lower part of the panel) and replaced it with a duplicate but without the removable door, and insulated the engine side with 2" sounddown insulation, extending it as necessary to cover openings on the edges. The new bulk head is easily removable- same four screws - for engine/tranny work.
Also, as Jeremy mentioned, the engine model/make can make a difference. I have been told by more than one mechanic that my Yanmar, 6LP-STE engine is among the quieter models.
I am convinced that in the pilot house of my 28TE, there is little to know actual ENGINE noise. Instead, you hear mostly the exhaust and water rushing sounds.
Hope this helps. Don.
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

I had a 28TE with a Yanmar and the noise levels were reasonable, I just purchased a 31TE with twins and it is significantly quieter. Both had good sound insulation throughout, but I think the exhaust location made the most difference. My 1997 with a 2005 Yanmar would exhaust starboard side, my 2004 31 exhausts out the transom. Not only does that direct it back, the outlets are under the swim platform. I think the fact they are under the swim platform is the biggest advantage. I was very surprised because my 31 has Cummins and they are usually a little loader than Yanmars.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dabeachman »

A 95 with a Cummins you cannot have a conversation without yelling and a 97 with the "beast" is the same way. Both have insulation throughout but make for a long 4 hour ride.
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

My son, who owns a 35, Tiara Open with twin Cummins 370's, and recently insulated the engine room AND had sounddown exhaust muffles installed, settled for foam ear plugs on a recent trip to Maine and back to the Cape. He and his wife loved the ear plugs. Don.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Me and the wife did a 6hr cruise each way to cape may Father's Day weekend and the sound levels were comfortable. We were able to talk the whole way without issues. Cruised at about 15-16knts on that trip. I did recently ride on my dads 32+2 and it was significantly louder in the cockpit than my 28. But it's exhaust is also above water when running and is a Cummins.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”