• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gotta love boat ownership...

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Gotta love boat ownership...

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Sigh, why do we own boats again? Lol. Im having a bit of a blue day today with the boat. I know the cure will come when she's back in the water and running but right now im questioning the time/energy/$$$$$$ that is going into her... The constant rain storms have found me another leak, found it when I was out today fitting the new rear bulkhead that I made to hold the rancor 900, and I went into the cabin and my table was wet. Traced it to the screw holes for the skylight. So once I have a dry day im gonna pull that, tape it off and cut back the core so I can seal it real nice and bed the screws in epoxy. Then re-silicone the hatch and reinstall.
I made the mistake of making a list of what's going on with shady...
1) new motor and mounts
2) refresh trans
3) new fuel tank
4) new fuel system (filter, lines, pumps, sender, flowscan, etc)
5) pull and reseal all hatches and windows
6) replace all bilge and drain hoses
7) possibly new shaft and likely new prop
The way im trying to justify it is that im just increasing her value and reliability. I'll basically have a new boat after all this is done...lol

Edit- how could I forget the part that started this insanity. The shaft seal that catastrophically failed...it needs to be replaced
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Gotta love boat ownership...

Post by DougSea »

I look at that empty engine space and see both opportunity and future reliability. Both good in my book! :)

And I AM speaking from experience!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I don't disagree with that. A complete driveline swap is a happy thing. Im trying to be as open checkbook as I can be with this project as it will pay dividens in the future. Should have the new bulkhead done manana-then just have to glass it in!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

My Bomar hatch leaks the same way, right at the screws,on the inside , but only a few drops, I could never tell where it was coming from,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Bulkhead is getting glassed now, old one was just wood with paint, gonna see if I can do a little better;). It's now through bolted instead of screwed together and 3/4" ply not the 1/4" stuff that was in there.

Did get the call I didn't want, motor is apparently beat...glad I didn't put it back in. Turbo was seized when it got to peninsular...they are gonna get me a quote but I think im just gonna get a whole new ready to go motor...

As for the hatch, this was way more than a few drops...we shall see what it looks like manana hopefully!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Hang in there,,,,,Think about the tuna fishing in your future and the confidence you'll have with a new power plant,Pete
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

My Bomar also leaked a little - soon as I removed the sealant from where it was bonded and replaced it with hatch tape - problem solved. I also had a small leak around the main seal it closes on - £40 for the correct seal and its watertight fully now.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I pulled out the trim Peice jn the cabin and when I looked up I could see sunlight through two spots on the hatch. Resealed it and will see if that fixes the problem. Hopefully we are good to go!

Spent two hours pulled a pile of hoses out of the bilge. Included are the suction hoses for the manual and diaphragm pump, raw water washdown, raw water hose from strainer to motor, both vent hoses for fuel tank. Also re-routed to fuel fill hose as it was poorly routed previously. Gonna be fixing/replacing a lot of scary hoses that were hiding in the bilge! Will also be replacing the exhaust hoses as they are cracked and dry rotted a bit.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Butyl tape is the way to go.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea I went back and forward on butyl tape. Had some marine silicone open so I tried that. Have some rain coming the next two days so I will get to see if it works
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Every boat project seems to grow exponentially. When we would start one it seemed to open two or three new ones. We are really enjoying the fruits of our labors now though, it's a great feeling to set at the helm when things are working as they should.

Return to “General Discussion”