• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge Pumps*******please read

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Bilge Pumps*******please read

Post by socalmike »

Rewired my stern bilge pump today only to find the wiring quite corroded and barely working. When I went to separate the wires, one of the wires to the float switch fell off the connector. I am guessing this is original to the boat. 2001 28 Te. Just a heads up as this is important should something go wrong and requiring the flat/pump.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Bilge Pumps*******please read

Post by catalina_mike »

Mike mine were all pretty crappy.. Actually they removed the aft so I ran new 3 conductor cable and added a big boy back there. They also pulled the shower sump assembly and let it drain into the bilge.. I don't think I'll ever shower on her bur also added the correct assembly. I have the dait tank ready to roll.. Thanks for the fitting I did a different location as I couldn't see me getting under the swim step to disconnect easily. Afterall her name is Dive Inn not Fish Inn. Thanks again..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Catalina Mike, My boat has no switch for an aft bilge pump but I do see a pump way Down there that seems to be disconnected.(dark and crowded area)my disconnected one seems to be forward of the fuel tank,Did your aft pump have a seperate discharge and switch?im wondering if mine was jury rigged to just pump the water forward to the midship pump,
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Mine had three switches forward bilge, bilge, aft bilge. The bilge switch went to the diaphram pump that serves the area under the engine. The one I pulled new wire for is in the rudder area. Not much use there but if a hose fails I want all the pump I can get.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I have never seen a diaphragm pump in use I bet that's the motor I'm seeing it doesn't look like a bilge pump,I will look into its mounting and wiring? It definitely doesn't work but now I know what kind of pump it is,do they usually have float switches? I don't see one,
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Its hard to see the float as it is down in the keel under the motor.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

if there is a float switch it will be hard to see,maybe they abandoned the pump when it quit and stole the switch location for an accessory?
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Post by SJR »

I just put a new Mid Bilge pump in , and was working fine, at least i though so. after returning home for a few days after a long boat trip, the mid bilge is not forcing the water out, took the motor out disconnected the hose and its pushing water however not enough to get over the high part of the U shaped hose vent. I hooked up a water hose and blew it out to make sure it wasn't clogged, hooked up a sump pump to the out flow hose and that worked. I have a 1000 mph pump thats brand new in the mid. Can anyone tell me if thats not enough power? I checked hose clamps, its got power, I was thinking it may be a suction issue? Spent all day taping, disconnecting , reconnecting ... and nothing. the original pump was a 1000 mph.
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

The bilge is a dirty messy place. I think that is why the factory went with a diaphram (trash ) pump. Mine has an inline screen that requires cleaning. Your replacement pump could be plugged up or have insufficient lift.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

Pedro, I too have a diaphragm pump on my boat. Mine is set-up just like Mike’s boat. I have three toggle switches on the instrument panel and they operate bilge pumps in the cabin, under the engine and aft of the engine. My diaphragm pump does have a float switch. The hose on the suction side of the diaphragm pump runs to a cavity, in the bilge, directly under the front-end of the engine. If the unit does not operate when powered on or when the float switch is lifted, check the fuse that is adjacent to the toggle switch, to insure it has not blown. My unit has a strainer on the suction side of the pump. I check my strainer a few times a year to make sure it is clear.
I purchased my boat new in 1998 and after owning it for few years I had a hose leak on the discharge side of the raw water pump. That’s when I discovered that the aft bilge pump was installed but never wired to the power source! Maybe the bilge pump was installed on a Monday?
Best regards,
Ray
1998 Albin 28TE
Cummins engine, 6BTA5.9m3
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

There is no third bilge switch on my panel,toward bilge,main bilge, there is a switch re-labeled "acc,"that powers the 12v plug located next to steering wheel, I'm guessing that was the third bilge switch,I'll investigate further next time on on the boat, Thanks,Pete
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine has three switches as well. All three are two position. With a frwd and rear for manual in and a third switch that controls the float switches. I also added an extra pump behind the factory genset and that one is hardwired in. But that was my add-on
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

Pedro,
All of my bilge pumps discharge on the starboard side of my Albin 27TE.
Best regards,
Ray
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Update! Today I crawled into the bilge and found the float switch that was originally installed, it was filthy but probably works except for there is no longer a diaphragm pump installed. I was able to figure out what hose goes to where.The thru hulll for the original pump Seems to used for something else.Hatch drain for the center hatch?Possibly the forward bilge pump or shower sump.
Im not sure how to install a new aft bilge pump.Should I run a wire direct from the battery for an auto bilge pump? Should I drilll another overboard thru hull or steal the shower sump as we never use it,
Or the hatch drain? And send that water elsewhere.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

I brought my wire for my new aft "rudder area not under the engine" to the old switch panel. That way your wiring will be consistent. The exsisting electrical panel has the battery buss there already. Don't go adding a bunch of one offs on the battery it just gets messy. IMO I drilled a new thru hull forward of the exsisting ones strb side.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937

Return to “Albin Maintenance”