• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35 TE, Needle in a Haystack?

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cambridge

35 TE, Needle in a Haystack?

Post by Yanni »

Just wanted to say a quick Hello to everyone here!
I have sold my 28' S2 sailboat last year but kept my 21' WA Dixie. I have been scoping out all the different Albins out there and have settled on looking for what is apparently a rare bird.
Thanks to Bayard and Gladys (new owners of “Her Boat” a 35 Albin TE, former owners of “Friend Ship” 28 TE), graciously giving me a tour of their new boat I am looking for a 35TE with the following:
2000-2005 Albin 35TE (no Flybridge)
Single 450 Cummins with no afterburner, and possibly no turbo?
Galley Down
Engine Access is important since I will be doing my own maintenance. ( How is engine access with galley up version?)
Having a Skeg is important also since the water around here is very skinny.
I plan on keeping here in the Chesapeake, and at some point head south and possibly the Caribbean for winters.
It seems like there is an abundance of 28's, a few 31's, a bunch of 32+2”s, 35 CB's, but almost no 35TE's with what I want.
Doesn't seem like there are many threads on this boat either. :roll:
I know there is one up in Maine, but it seems overpriced for the options it comes with. I have also heard it has been on the market for a while.
Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks to all for a great site!
John
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: 35 TE, Needle in a Haystack?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

First off, welcome to the board. Secondly, albins often sell for more than you would think as they hold their value. Also just because they list it for x price doesn't mean that's what you will pay. If your interested it's worth a look and putting in an offer. But yes, you are looking for a fairly rare boat:/
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

Thanks Jeremyvmd,
To correct myself, the boat that comes close to the minimum requirement of having a single 450 Cummins is actually in Long Island. I know I can always add things like genset, ac, cockpit cover etc, if I can get a boat at the right price. I am hoping to find one that is a little closer to my requirements before I put an offer in. This board is a wealth of knowledge that I hope will help. For example: was that engine ever offered with no afterburner? How do you get to the starboard side of a single when it is the galley up version?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

By afterburner are u referring to the exhaust particulate filter? If so I beleive that was added to the 450 Cummins in 2011... As for access i have no comment
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

If it burns the exhaust gases, and is made of aluminum then yes. I was told by a friend that has a much newer 450 that he had problems with it, and to avoid afterburners.He did say that those engines with the removable sleeves are the ones to have. So in the year boats that I am looking at 2000-2005, I should be good. I assume they are all naturally aspirated also.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I beleive all the 450diamond motors are turbo/intercooled...

Return to “New Member Introductions”