• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Can't get the anchor to go down.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

paulamaxim
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stonington, Maine

Can't get the anchor to go down.

Post by paulamaxim »

We are unable to put down the anchor. We use the up/down switch but there is no response. No motor seems to come on.

What else do we do?

Is there a possible electric issue?

We need to try and fix it before Sunday.

Any help is appreciated!
1st Mate Paula Maxim & Capt. Tom Duarte
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Re: Can't get the anchor to go down.

Post by TomA »

My 32 + 2 has a of / on switch for the windlass mounted on the front (aft) end of the forward queen bed. Check if you have a switch? Tom A
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I think a post in just one section of the forum will be best, then all answers will be in one place and members don't have to jump around reading the replies to see if they have anything additional to add.

I had problems with mine, turned out to be a bad ground connection

Good luck

Jay
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

There is a breaker switch somewhere that might not be set. On our 28 it's located on the front of the step into the cabin. Interesting breaker style. Seems it is set on by pushing and swinging the lever under it up until it clicks into position. To turn it off, push the red button in front.

Interestingly our main breaker switch for the 30 amp cord is located in the back of the port storage space. Lift the storage container up and out and thar she be. Easy to trip when replacing the storage bin.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

From your post it seems like you're not used to troubleshooting electrical problems, but here goes. First thing I'd check is if there is voltage to the windlass when the up or down switch is engaged. If yes, probably bad connection or motor is shot. If no, check for open breaker. You need to check your voltage all the way back to the battery that powers it. Maybe that's dead. Hope that's enough to get you started.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

See if someone can hear a click somewhere in the vicinity of the windlass when the up or down buttons are pressed. If yes, then your relay is working and now you are looking at the main power feed to the windlass or the motor itself. If not, the relay could be bad, or loose connection. What the of boat do you have?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Also if your windlass can be operated manually with a wrench, try rocking it back and forth to make sure it's not jammed, and the try your switch again. You might have a little corrosion on the motor giving you a dead spot.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

If that lasts longer than 4 hours I think you're supposed to go to the emergency room.

Return to “General Discussion”