• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removing Vetus Bow Thruster Motor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ipswich, MA

Removing Vetus Bow Thruster Motor

Post by zeke46 »

bt.JPG
Hello,

My Vetus bow thruster has failed. I only hear a clicking sound (presumably the solenoid) when I activate the remote rocker switch. I've checked voltage, cleaned nearly all connections, and still nothing. I took the cover off the motor and want to be able to clean the contacts near the brushes. I will need to remove the motor from its mount (not sure of the correct name; please see red arrow in attached) to get the cover back on. Can this be done while the boat is in the water without water intrusion? It's above the waterline, but I'd like to hear opinions before I commit to fully removing the motor while the boat is in the water.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Removing Vetus Bow Thruster Motor

Post by special k »

i removed my vetus 55 to replace the shear pin while in water. no problem
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Thank you.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Same issue here. I am trying to inspect my brushes and I have limited space due to an AC unit installed forward on my 28, right above the thruster. I spoke to Vetus and the motor can be removed by backing out the three machine screws that are attached to the flange. Do not go any further than that. I have a BOW23 Vetus in a 98 28. Also, I went back forth with Vetus on the brushes. I originally bought SET0023 but they are wrong. I am now ordering AL100. which should be the correct brushes for my unit. If you do pull your motor out, let me know what tool or socket configuration you used.

have fun
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The 23 is different from the 55 and not even all 55's are the same. My 2005 model has 4 bolts at the base where you have the red arrow. Remove them and the motor comes right out. There is no shear pin in mine and I am not sure what happens if something goes in the tunnel. Maybe replace the prop.
I would emphasize cleaning the channels that hold the brushes because they collect powdered lead and corrosion preventing the brushes from sliding in to make good contact with the armature. If the brushes have not been used down to their base which could damage the armature and the motor spins quietly by hand, a good cleaning may solve your problem.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Serenity wrote:Same issue here. I am trying to inspect my brushes and I have limited space due to an AC unit installed forward on my 28, right above the thruster. I spoke to Vetus and the motor can be removed by backing out the three machine screws that are attached to the flange. Do not go any further than that. I have a BOW23 Vetus in a 98 28. Also, I went back forth with Vetus on the brushes. I originally bought SET0023 but they are wrong. I am now ordering AL100. which should be the correct brushes for my unit. If you do pull your motor out, let me know what tool or socket configuration you used.

have fun

I had four bolts to remove to get the motor off the flange.

Here are the tools I needed:

--Size 4 (metric) allen wrench for bolts that hold on plastic shield
--13 mm socket (extension makes it easier) or wrench for removing cables
--Size 5.5 (metric) or 7/32 (standard) allen wrench for removing four flange bolts

Some photos are attached. Let me know if it would be helpful to see more.

I found a local auto place that rebuilds thruster motors. I'm bringing it to them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Russell wrote:The 23 is different from the 55 and not even all 55's are the same. My 2005 model has 4 bolts at the base where you have the red arrow. Remove them and the motor comes right out. There is no shear pin in mine and I am not sure what happens if something goes in the tunnel. Maybe replace the prop.
I would emphasize cleaning the channels that hold the brushes because they collect powdered lead and corrosion preventing the brushes from sliding in to make good contact with the armature. If the brushes have not been used down to their base which could damage the armature and the motor spins quietly by hand, a good cleaning may solve your problem.
Thanks!
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Great pictures. Is that a 23 or 25 thruster? I suppose it doesn't make a difference.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

It's actually a 50.
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

The auto place cleaned the contacts (the problem) and rebuilt the motor. I put it back in today and it works!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zeke46 wrote:I put it back in today and it works!
You sound surprised, LOL

The 50kgf has the external gear oil reservoir but I don't see it ?

Curious, why did you pull the top cover and not just the mounting base flange bolts ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

I was happily surprised.

Yes, it does. It's mounted on the bulkhead, not visible in the photos.

To answer your last question, I'm new to bow thrusters. I was hoping I might be able to clean the contacts near the brushes without having to remove the entire motor. This might have been possible, although difficult, but I'd never have been able to get the brushes to retract to get the top cover back on. To anyone else having problems, just take the entire motor off at the flange with cover attached. :D
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Gotcha. Be sure to check that gear oil line fitting under the thruster motor and make sure it's snug and the hose connection is good. I was chasing a little oil in the bilge at one point and it took me a little bit to find the leak, it wasn't enough to really notice a change in the level in the reservoir.

Yeah, just wanted to clarify that removal of the top cover is not part of "user maintenance".... I can see Max texting me next Thursday night before the rendezvous "Rob, how do you get this motor cover back on!"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I was going to wait till the rendezvous!
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

You should be able to remove the grid-like cover enclosing the brush channels, slide the spring to the side and pull the brushes out to clean them without removing anything else. The hardest part is removing all the junk and cushions to get to the hatch cover. I remove the table top too.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”