• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruising from Deltaville Va to Oyster bay NY

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

pk2684
Mate
Mate
Home Port: NORTHPORT

Cruising from Deltaville Va to Oyster bay NY

Post by pk2684 »

Hello All,

Recently bought a 1981 36ft Ford Lehman 120 and will be making the trip back in the upcoming weeks. Has anybody made a similar trip? and if so can you please share some tips ie good marinas to stop at along the way and any clue how long it would take if we were looking to cruise 10hrs or so a day. I ideally would like to make it back to the Long Island sound in 3 days. Suggested root would be up the Chesapeake through the canal down around jersey ect. Thank you in advance for the help.

Paul
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Cruising from Deltaville Va to Oyster bay NY

Post by jleonard »

I have made that trip in an old Mainship so I know the route. But the Mainship was much faster.
Figure 7 knots times 10 hours = 70 nautical miles MAX per day. Currents (even cross currents) will affect your speed big time in that boat.
I don't know the mileage, but I think 3 days is a big stretch. 5 running days yes, and will make a much nicer trip.
Lots of places to stop over night in the Bay. Annapolis perhaps if you can make that. I don't know the mileage.
Chesapeake City is at the Chessy Bay end of the C&D canal and is a good anchorage for overnight. You should be able to make that from Annapolis.
You'll probably need to start from there to make Cape May in a day depending upon the wind/current in the Delaware river.
In Cape May I like Utch's marina. Good fuel stop if you need it and they are friendly. Last time I was there the bathrooms were immaculate.
From there you should be able to make Barnegat inlet from either the inside or outside. You can anchor in Tices Shoal or go into the Forked River and dock at the Captain's Inn for cheap if you eat there (you'll be hungry after 10 hours). You can also anchor just inside Barnegat inlet there is a little anchorage on the port side after the breakwater. You'll see it on the charts.
From there you may be able to make Oyster Bay if the East river gives you a nice shove. If you're bucking it you'll have plenty of time to take pics of NYC and make an alternate plan.
These are only a couple of options, there are many more.
Best of luck with your delivery trip.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I found these sites very helpful when planning a trip from Deale to OC Md. I would be sure to have the updated charts for the Del Bay in case you have any trouble. Not a lot of choices in some areas. The calculator site was spot on. Spend the time in front of your plotter and lay down the route when your not bobing around. Have fun, sounds like a nice trip!!

http://frugalnavigator.com/cart

http://www.boatbookings.com/yachting_co ... tances.php

http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/cd-canal.php
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

In cape may I would say south jersey marina. Not the cheapest but very nice place to stay. Barnegate bay is a great stopping place, if you find yourself there you should swing by key harbor, home to shady lady;). Im sure Fred could find you a spot. Good place to fuel up too!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
pk2684
Mate
Mate

Post by pk2684 »

Appreciate all the feedback..Much appreciated.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I don't have a chart of the upper Delaware bay but check out the submerged jetty on the western shore south of the CD canal entrance. Years ago a friend of mine (who was a very experienced sailor/large ship captain) put his 40' sailboat on it, things did not go well, but he was able to get it towed off and repaired.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Sounds like a nice trip....no worries...all will work. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery! Unfortunately, our trip south was late in the year and we opted to shoot down the coast to Norfolk, so we missed the Chesapeake Bay and all it has to offer. Ahhhh yes...Oyster Bay....I was born in Bethpage :) many moons ago!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

If you want the best information about marinas, anchorages, fuel prices and hazards along the way, then a membership in Active Captain is worth it's weight in gold. (It's free by the way) Lots of boaters write reviews about the places marked on the interactive charts, so you get a first hand review about a place before you even get there. I never plan a trip without spending a few hours on Active Captain.

https://activecaptain.com/

Just register and begin using. As you submit your own reviews, you can accumulate points and get a FREE HAT !!!
It does require ActiveX so it doesn't work well on an iPad or iPhone.
pk2684
Mate
Mate

Post by pk2684 »

Boat made it to Northport in five days with no overnights. While I couldn't complete the journey myself due to work etc. Captain said all was good and only ruptured a hydraulic line on the bow thruster so it was a successful trip. If anybody is looking to transport a boat from the Deltalville area I can recommend a great capt. Safe cruising - Paul

Return to “General Discussion”