• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Getting on plane

Willbecca
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Camden Maine

Getting on plane

Post by Willbecca »

I am purchasing a 1994 Albin 28TE with 634 hours with a peninsular 300. During the sea trial the surveyor could not get the RPM's higher than 3000 while under way and only hit 16.7 knots. This motor is suppose to achieve 3600 RPM's at WOT? I was not on board for this part of the survey but the surveyer said he did not engage the trim tabs. Is it nessasary to use the trim tabs to obtain the proper speed and RPM's? This Monday I am having the engine compression checked and also test the RPM's via the engine. The prop is 18x18
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Getting on plane

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Trim tabs should not play a role u less the boat is overloaded and still wouldn't make that big of a difference. Every boat is a little different but im at a 18x17 prop, might be overpropped. Also assuming tach is right. I would photo tach the motor and compare to actual tach. Speed seems low. Pushing her I can get 18-21 depending on current and wind
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The prop is 18x18
I have a 95 with the same motor and prop as you. I cruise at 17-18 knots @ 2700-2800 RPM. I think my WOT RPM (convertible) is a little higher than you mentioned but I just don't remember right now. Top end speed should be around 21-22 knots.
Considering the hours are low it may have been sitting in the water? A dirty bottom with barnacles will slow you down. Others with more experience than I will jump in here.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Something is wrong. A survey should be scheduled in that the vessel be short hauled and power washed and then hang in the slings overnight. Was this the case here? Did the surveyor "see" the bottom and the running gear? A sea trial is of limited info unless it's done this way....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”