• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 35 TE 2000 Fuel Tank Transfer

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

TD
First Mate
First Mate

Albin 35 TE 2000 Fuel Tank Transfer

Post by TD »

Do you know if the fuel gauge will indicate both tank levels? Also do the two tanks alway equalize to the same level automatically?
Thanks,
TD
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I don't know specifically about the TE, but I do know what our 36' ET does.

The fuel tanks do self-equalize. Although, I'm not sure I'd call it "equalizing" since they often become rather unequal while underway. Not much you can do about it aside from use the trim tabs to even the boat back out.

As for the fuel gauge, ours is a three position switch. To the left shows the port tank, to the right shows the starboard tank, and in the middle it's turned off.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

THanks for the reply. I had this boat shipped from east coast to west coast and the owner and marine shop indicated the same as you did. I definitely have a full starboard and an empty port tank. May the equalizing line between the two tanks is clogged. I haven't tried to find it yet. Terry
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

fuel tanks

Post by AlMar »

I don't know if mine is factory or not, as I bought it used; but my plumbing is such that I can draw from either tank, or both; and have the return go to either tank , or both. My gauge switch is like Mariners. Also, if I have both tanks open (on), the engine will draw considerably more from the tank with the shortest fuel line. In my case, the port tank, which, unfortunately also feeds my generator.
AlMar
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

That is good info. I will check my plumbing next week and see what I have--probably the same as yours. I was also going to contact Albin and see if i could get a manual on the boat since I didn't get one. I will let you know what I find and I appreciate your inputs. Terry
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Almar,

I wonder if that's what's happening with mine. While cruising, the boat tends to develop a bit of a starboard list, despite the fact that the boat has more weight and equipment on the port side.

We also have an array of valves for fuel lines, but I've never had the nerve to start switching them becuase I don't fully understand the system and worry that I'll mess something up. The 3126B's fuel pump flows 50 gallons per hour, of which 10 is consumed by the engine at cruising speed. That leaves 40 gallons per hour coming out of the return line, or 2/3 gallon per minute. The last thing I want is gallon of diesel spewing from a broken fuel line each minute and a half.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Almar--That is interesting. Have you tried contacting Albin? Lets keep in touch and I will let you know what I find out. I probably won't do much until next week. Terry
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I did discover that there are 3 tanks through access in the cockpit floor where the bumpers store. The tanks are connected by 1 1/2" hoses---starboard to center and port to center with a single handle valve on port and starboard. This would mean that the tanks have to be balanced with fuel and when you flip the gauge switch it reads whatever all the tanks are at. I am assuming there is no check valve in the system. Albin did not answer my question about the tank plumbing configuration.

Still don't know why the list to port. I have a 6KW Northern Lights generator on the port side and the sewage tank on the starboard. I don't see any balast anywhere. If I find additional info will post and would appreciate anyone else do the same. TD
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi Folks,

I don't want to hijack a thread here, but since we are on the topic of fuel gages and tanks I thought I'd ask about something on my 28TE.

At the helm we have a double toggle switch (Left, Middle, and Right position) for the fuel gauge. However, I am under the assumption that we have only one tank. The only tank that I see is located near the stern of the boat, forward of the three hatches that lay in the cockpit sole.

Now, I know the fuel gauge works by observation (i.e. the needle goes down during use and up after taking on fuel). It seems to work in the middle position and I notice no change if I switch it to left or right position. Meanwhile, if the switch is in left or right position, the red light turns on behind the words 'fuel gauge' indicating that it's on.

Any thoughts?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Elizabeth Ann,
What year is your boat? It sounds like your switch was replaced somewhere along the line possibly? There is only one tank and no need for that type of switch. I have already had to replace my trim tab switch and I noticed that my horn is not a momentary switch. I'm guessing that the previous owner replaced it with a on-off switch.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

It's a 2001. There are still a few bugs and misunderstandings I have to work out on the boat. The fuel gauge is the least of my concer; however, I thought I'd ask.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”