• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where's Waldo?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Where's Waldo?

Post by Vic K »

Rather AOG version of Waldo..that being Don. He has been very quite.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Where's Waldo?

Post by JT48348 »

I received this cryptic message last night:

"Need clean underwear and a bunt cake. Be sure to make the cake filling appropriate for 1" thick steel bars. Los Carrebas Mexican Prison, Vera Cruz."

Maybe he's off course and needs a rescue mission
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Well, not always Internet connected in the boonies :lol:

Went from Ft Myers to Everglades City to check out the famous Rod & Gun Club. Rode the bikes around town, had a good meal, swam in their pool and had a few drinks at the bar - Definitely check it out if you're ever down this way

Next night in the remote Everglades at the Little Shark River anchorage - Didn't get bit by a single mosquito which is a miracle, given what I's read about the place

Next day, on to Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. Will stay here on a mooring until Monday when we hope to move out toward Key West in preparation for a visit to the Dry Tortugas, when and if the weather permits. Then, back up the Keys toward Miami as the adventure continues!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Don,

You have a following in your adventures so you have an obligation to us that live vicariously. It's good to hear that someone is doing more than just work on these things.

Vic
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

Vic,

I'll try to better!

I have the forum kinda sorta working on my phone now so it should be possible to post updates even on days where there's no WiFi on the boat

A few gems we've learned so far. It is possible for a couple to long range cruise in *relative* comfort on a boat this small, but it would sure help if we were better organized *and* you kept the excess junk to a minimum. We're making a list of unneeded *stuff* that we're going to take back home when we take a break & head home for a week or so

An autopilot of some sort would be a BIG plus. There would still be many times hand steering would be required, but it would sure be nice to take a break from hand steering in calm conditions

Living day to day with just 30 gallons of water & a 20 gallon holding tank takes some planning. We're using about a dozen 3 quart containers for drinking water & ice making, most of those are stored in the original ice box location - We were wondering before we left what we would be using that space for

The battery power is working out fine. Two pairs of golf cart batteries and a pair of 160 watt solar panels have never left us without adequate power, even when living on the hook for several days at a time

70 gallons of fuel is more than adequate. The extra 5 gallon can of diesel will be swapped out for a second 5 gallon can of freshwater at the first opportunity. We make use of the extra water can regularly but we've never come close to needing the extra diesel

We anchor out a LOT and we don't have an anchor windlass & I don't miss not having one at all. We use a 25 pound Mantus anchor with 15 feet of 5/16ths stainless chain and hauling it in manually is never a problem. A washdown pump isn't a real necessity either. It usually comes up pretty clean. Save your windlass money & spend it on a bow thruster instead. I don't know what we'd do without that puppy. It's a real marriage saver when you're picking up mooring balls and boy is it a lifesaver around fuel and pump out docks

I *thought* we would use our full canvas enclosure only in bad or cold weather but it's looking like we may never take it down. The screens allow plenty of fresh air and being able to channel a breeze into the aft cabin is a real plus on these warm Florida nights. We've had Temps of 85 days 75 nights for quite awhile now

Offshore excursions of any length at all require near perfect weather and waiting out weather windows is a major drag. 2 to 3 foot seas with a 10 to 15 knot breeze which are perfect sailing weather on a sailboat are nearly unlivable on an A27. An hour or so of those conditions are a full days work and will make you think twice about trying it again! This is definitely NOT an offshore boat! She bobs around like a cork in anything less than perfect conditions. We've never felt *unsafe* - She will get you through it, but we've felt plenty uncomfortable many times. Tie everything down or it will all wind up scattered everywhere

Good windshield wipers are a must
She's not a *dry* boat. Motoring into a breeze with any sort of wave action will have salt spray blowing completely over the boat. Not a prayer of seeing where you're going without good wipers

I *hope* we get out to the Dry Tortugas in the next week or two, but it's going to require a pretty confidant near perfect weather forecast. 70 miles west of Key West isn't where you want to be stuck in a boat like this one if the weather turns ugly on you!

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Don: how big a battery bank are you using with the two golf cart batteries? What's the total amp hours?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

JT,

Most golf cart batteries are rated at 200 ah, give or take a few

So, 2 banks of 200 ah each and limiting discharge to 50%, we have about 200 ah of usable power. Add in 320 watts of solar and a 50 amp shore power charger which is on whenever the genset is running and we have a pretty versatile system

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Rights that's been my estimate. Two golf cart batteries at 220ah x2 sets to get to 400-4440ah.

I'm going to be running 40amp Victron battery charger and a 120amp Balmar alternator (items I already have) Haven't gotten to the solar panel parts yet.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

I have a 105 amp PowerMax alternator (which actually outputs 85 amps, hot or cold) so it's a given that after a days run the batteries are at 100%

On the mooring field here in Marathon I'm surprised at the number of boats running their main engines for an hour or two every day to make electricity. A very expensive and undesirable way to do things

don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Two 160 watt panels is impressive. Are they marine panels or does it matter? Do you have a external charge controller and if so what kind? Does it matter if it's marine grade? And what's the output rating for the controller--must be bigger than 10amp?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

The panels were eBay specials. Nothing fancy or marine about them. $300 for the pair. They're 58 by 27 inches

I originally bought a 20 amp PWM controller but in full sun the panels come pretty close to maxing that one out. I now carry it as a spare and am using a 30 amp PWM controller. 8 gauge wire from the panels to the controller

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Solar panels are another thing that needs windscreen wipers!
I was amazed how much salt evaporates on them so reducing output.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Have confidence. When I took the ferry out to the Dry Tortugas a few years ago, I was looking at a sail coming in to the harbor and was confused thinking it had to be a long ways away since it was so small. No, it turned out to be two guys in a 14' Melonseed who had sailed from Key West. You're in an aircraft carrier by comparison. :) They needed favorable winds to get home.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

Ahhhh, yes ! Oh to be young, foolish and . . . . ignorant once again!! It's amazing the stupid stuff I did back then . . . . and somehow lived to tell about it

Now . . . . how to convince Carolyn this bouncy, tippy 27 footer is actually an aircraft carrier in disguise :lol:

Don
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

It would be convenient to blame their trip on youth but both of them were in their 50's! Yikes.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”