• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 window dimensions

Albin's "power cruisers"
davidg
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Boca Raton, FL, USA

A25 window dimensions

Post by davidg »

Could someone post the dimensions of the A25 fore and aft side cabin and pilothouse side windows? I'm considering purchase of such a boat and want to investigate replacing the stock ones with opening ports (I live in South Florida).
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 window dimensions

Post by kerrye »

I don't have the dimensions handy but can get them. I do have some thoughts about your idea. The side windows in the fore cabin are quite large. I've never seen an opening port that large. However, the side windows of both the fore and aft cabins are real glass (the bow and stern windows in those cabins are plexiglass). If I were considering installing opening ports in the side windows of the bow and stern cabins, I would replace the glass originals with 1/4" plexiglass (like the bow and stern windows) and then cut the plexiglass to accept an opening port. Plexiglass for the fore cabin side windows would run about $40 each. About $25 for the aft cabin (based on the price I paid for plexiglass for my bow and stern windows) if you were to remove the original glass carefully, it could be preserved intact should anyone ever want to restore the boat to its original configuration.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

David G,

A number of A25 owners have replaced the stock fixed pilothouse side windows with sliding windows. That's probably the easiest fix for the pilothouse, relatively speaking. The forward cabin gets good ventilation with the deck hatch open, but yes, in a warm climate the cabin, especially when closed up is at least 10 degrees hotter than outside. A better solution for the aft cabin might be an opening Bomar type hatch on the roof, and for that matter adding one on the forward cabin roof. Of course that's quite expensive, as those type hatches run in the $600 range each.

Here's a boat we saw in NY that had sliding side windows in the pilothouse
DSCN2419 (1280x960).jpg
I'm in Arizona, so it's like Florida, only hotter and < 20% humidity. Our solution, besides installing a hard top with opening hatches over the pilothouse roof, is to do most of our local boating between late October and early May. After the Mexican "Cinco De Mayo" holiday weekend we're pretty much done with Lake Pleasant until October. Come summer we hitch up the trailer and head for Pacific coastal waters.

Here's how warm our cabin got one day last month (February) when the outside temperature was about 80 with the boat parked on the trailer on land. And that was with everything opened up. Of course when you're out on the water and there's a breeze or you're under way getting good airflow it's better. With this thermometer "In" measures inside the forward cabin and "Out" is the pilothouse. In summer the cabin can easily reach 120 or higher.
DSCN3495 (1280x960).jpg

Oh, BTW Kerry, check out Trailersailor.com. That guy you sailed with on the F24 in NY is over there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
davidg
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Boca Raton, FL, USA

Post by davidg »

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses and advice.

Yes, I have noted the sliding pilothouse windows on sister ships, and will probably go that way on mine. Sadly, the pilothouse is the least of the ventilation problems. The only A25 I have seen "in the flesh" had Plexiglass fore and aft cabin side windows already. I suppose they were replacements. I did not get their dimensions at that time, unfortunately. Were I to replace actual glass windows, I would probably opt for UV stabilized Lexan, and save the glass ones for the next owner. Otherwise, I like the idea of opening ports in the windows. I have no issue with putting in hatches, but in Florida (unlike Arizona) when it is hot it is humid and often raining HARD. Thus the appeal of horizontal openings. Finally, I love the idea of heading north when it's hot, and I love downeast Maine, but the thought of towing a 25' boat for close to 2000 miles on I-95 is not love!

In the meantime, if someone could provide those window dimensions, I would be ever so grateful. Thanks again!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

... but the thought of towing a 25' boat for close to 2000 miles on I-95 is not love!
Routes of our road trips....

2015:

Phoenix to Erie Canal
routemap3.jpg
Erie Canal to Rhode Island
Rhode Island Map.jpg
Rhode Island to Delaware via NJ & Cape May ferry
Jersey Route Map.jpg
Return trip, Delaware to Phoenix (after 2 week cruise in Chesapeake Bay) Total road miles 5,700+
Route Home.jpg
2014:

Phoenix to Bellingham, WA, 3,400+ road miles round trip. You think I-95 is bad, try I-5 through Seattle, tough even on weekends.(Going back there again this summer)
SJRoute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”