• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hazard! Unintentional & effective engine raw water strainer

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Hazard! Unintentional & effective engine raw water strainer

Post by Captn_Dwt »

I've been overhauling all the water systems on my Ford-Lehman 120. I'm now finished with the Raw water system, and feel that this can apply to ANY engine that has oil / transmission coolers in the flow - line of the raw water. (Hence, I'm posting here as well as with the Classic Trawlers.)
These coolers can act as filters; they can plug up with junk; they can slowly choke off the raw water supply.

I had planned on replacing my oil and transmission coolers because of age. I purchased new units and a complete hose-kit from American Diesel, and began the tear-down phase. There was also a "spare" cooler that came with the boat. No explanation on the wrapper...just "Spare...replaced at 700 Hrs". I inspected it...and noted that one end of the cooler was plugged! With eel grass. Hmmm, I wonder. I could also tell that this had been used in the Engine Oil position. (on our motors, the Engine oil and Transmission coolers are identical / interchangeable). Finally, after the raw-water pump, the next item in-line is the oil cooler.

So, as I removed my oil cooler...sure enough...partially plugged with goop / pine needles / stuff. Now i know why she ran a bit hot last year, and why my exhaust elbow showed signs of high heat!
Ok...For me, it's clear that each year at haul-out, I'll be disconnecting and back-flushing this cooler! (for this engine at least, it's very easy to do).
I'll also know that if she seems to be running a bit hotter than normal, this is one likely culprit.

Knowledge is Power!
Best wishes,
Dwight

Return to “Albin Maintenance”