• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How do you access the engine on flush deck 28TE?

OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

How do you access the engine on flush deck 28TE?

Post by OldDemps »

I'm New to flush deck from engine box 28TE. I'm unclear as how to open engine compartment fully on flush deck? Do you completely remove helm chairs pedestal? Or just remove the helm chair from pedestal?

How do you remove pedestal? Does It unscrew from deck flange?

I raised my engine cover only about 2 ft before it hits steering wheel which only give me minimal access to yanmar.

How do you flush deck owners check your oil prior to departure? Thru quarter berth access? I usually check oil before every voyage on my old engine box.

Sounds like a stupid question but I'm unclear. Thx. Chris
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: How do you access the engine on flush deck 28TE?

Post by furball »

Removing the seat alone will get you half way there.
Unscrew the base from the deck mounting plate and the hatch will fully raise.
Bit of a pain but it's how it works.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

There are also engine access ports below the companionway and from the quarter berth. My dipstick is just inside the quarter berth port. The pedestal threads tend to seize so I put anti seize compound on them and it makes it much easier.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yikes seems like they coulda come up with a better solution! Makes me glad to have an engine box...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Russel, I see you have the Volvo. The flush decks with Yanmars have 2 dip sticks, one on the starbard side and one on the port. I can do everything, change oil, zincs, fuel filter, antifreeze, without removing the seat post, just the chair. When the timing belt, valve adjustments, and exhaust elbow was replaced, I simply removed the hatch completely. This only take a minute to remove 4 hinge screws and the pin on the lifting cylinder. Pre-flight checks are easily done by simply tilting the wheel all the way forward and then raising the hatch until the seat hits the wheel. Dipstick and coolant is very reachable. Secondary fuel filter and oil filter are accessed through the quarter-birth hatch as well as 4 zincs and raw water pump. Belt tensions / replacements are done through the hatch behind the steps.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Having owned both types of Albin 28's I agree that the engine box model provides much easier access to the engine. The engine box is also a handy table for entertaining. But the open cockpit is more suitable for fishing which is what I do most of the time. I will have to confess that I do not check the oil every time I go out. I figure if the 15 quarts of oil are not in the bilge they are still in the engine.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”