• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I need an opinion asap:/

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

I need an opinion asap:/

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I am currently looking to buy an Albin 28te. The boat is a crazy deal (less than half of any other Albin 28 on the market) the owner had a massive stroke and the wife has been trying to get rid of the boat for two years. I am fairly handy (I rewired and fully upgraded my 20ft center console cat) and willing to take on a project. My surveyor is concerned about a waterline in the bilge. I am starting to think she had a foot of salt water in her hull at some point:/. Would you guys walk away? The boat is otherwise in good shape and genny and motor fired right up and ran great. All major systems work 100% (except ac but they think the water line has air in it) but the salt and fresh pumps and water heater don't work. Here is a pic of the waterline inside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: I need an opinion asap:/

Post by RobS »

For sale a couple years and located in NJ.....Sandy damage?

A pre-2000 is likely balsa cored. Many cases of core damage happen from the inside out. With a bilge waterline that high there would be numerous points of water ingress. Has the hull been percussion tested and moisture metered? Also, the engine and gear and genny would have been well submerged as well. Have oil samples for both been done?

What can you get her for? - it's impossible to comment on "walk-away" or not without knowing what you could get her for...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The surveyor should have a moisture meter to check how bad it is.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Oil samples have not been done but both ran beautifully and I did check the oil visually as did they surveyor with no milkyness or any other issues visually. Hull was tested with no abnormalities noted on moisture meter or percussion testing.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

With a tide mark that high, the batteries would have almost certainly been submerged. Is it everywhere in the boat or just forward? Is the boat afloat or ashore? What's the chances of it being rain water? Any more pictures?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

That is the only spot I saw a water mark. I know that the rudder position sensor is dead (could be from submersion) but the batteries which are next to the water heater have 2/12 ship dates and are clean (no water marks) as are the battery trays. The boat has been on the hard for 2yrs. Lots of pics but nothing useful for water intrusion. I will say the cabin is ckean and even the deep dark corners have no evidence of water. I was thinking rain water and snow melt water but my surveyor disagreed and said it was Probibly salt water (he was thinking plug left out while on the hard during sandy).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

If you look to the left of the first pic I sent you can see the water level in relation to the shelf. The batteries (you can barely see one) are on that shelf
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

My Experince on boat buying is this. Whatever people tell you it will cost to fix the stuff the surveyor found, double it. Then add that much again for the stuff that was not found. When they say that they think its "just air in a line" be doubtful. Plan on AC replacement.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I was afraid someone was gonna say that:/ they are gonna prime the line and my wife and dad are gonna go down tomorrow. My surveyor said plan for an ac replacement too. He figured 5g if I did the labor myself. Is that a reasonable number to shoot for? Anyone know the flow and psi (or even models) of the pumps used for freshwater system and saltwater washdown? If they can't demonstrate the ac working im gonna try and get the price lowered. Keep the comments going guys I appreciate all the input. Its showing me it might be as bleak as I was afraid of. Im still leaning towards purchase. Im ok with a project boat as it has good bones (hull and top sides are solid and in good condition) and options I want
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

If it was indeed salt water I'd be concerned about damage to the electrical system. Salt water that gets into wiring has a way of not showing up immediately. A few years down the road everything starts going crazy. Be Careful.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Really odd. I had posted a reply and it went poof. I'll try it again:/. More detailed this time.

Wife went down today. After priming the line the ac ran great...super cold. Kept the cabin at 68 with the hatch open on a 89* day. For over an hour. Then they turned it off...an hour later ran perfect again. Alternator is working correctly according to the testing today. Very happy with those two facts. As for the water the owner had left the bottom plug in with batteries diconnexted. Mistake wasn't noticed for 7-10 days of bad weather. So it was fresh water sitting in the hull not saltwater...which makes me a little happier. Not thrilled about there being water but at least the batteries were out and it was not salt water.

We have decided to buy the boat after all. Just need to work out a few minor details but hopefully will close on it in a few days. Then off to my marina to get hauled so I can start making it "mine". Thank you all for your insights and im sure I'll be asking more stupid questions in the coming months...looking forward to Albin ownership!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Jeremy,

When we replaced our fresh water pump in 2012, we used a Jabsco 31395 Series PAR-Max 2.9 Water System Pump. We're very satisfied with it.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Nancy wrote:Jeremy,

When we replaced our fresh water pump in 2012, we used a Jabsco 31395 Series PAR-Max 2.9 Water System Pump. We're very satisfied with it.
Thanks!
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

get some Corrosion Block (name of product) and spray on all wires, terminals and etc...this stuff is amazing and will wick up into wires and reverse corrosion problems....May save some replacement time and improve elec. performance.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Good idea! Thanks for the heads up!