• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Diesel generators

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Diesel generators

Post by Nepidae »

To all;

I expect this will raise a lot of questions prior to any answers but the process must start somewhere.

My mate has decided after an interesting weekend (to be discussed later) that an internal, built-in generator should move toward the top of the list.

To that end I'd like to elicit peoples opinions on:

1) make of generator
2) size of generator (while I anticipate questions on usage of power and how much, I will state we are NOT big AC users, currently have 1 unit, and would continue to use microwave, stove, coffee maker). I'm guess-t-mating an 8K at the high end.
3) recommended general amp size of house battery bank
3a) type of battery for house bank
4) location that you would recommend to have the work done (currently on Chesapeake Bay).

Thanks in advance for helping me start the process.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: Diesel generators

Post by crowra »

Charles,

Agree this will probably raise a lot of questions. I recommend getting a generator that will put out the same amps as your shore power. For example, if you have two 30-amp AC breakers, get one that provides 60 amps. As for brand, all I can say is I only have experience with a Westerbeke 7.6 BTD. It cranks out 7.6 KW, 120 volts, ~63 amps, 60 Hz. I have friends that have Kohler and seem happy with theirs. And if you can fit a sound proofing cover, get one!

As for house battery bank -- that depends. I have four 6-volt golf cart batteries (deep cycle) in series/parallel -- Crown CR-235 for a total of 470 AH (actually only 235 since you shouldn't deplete more than 50%). That's more than enough for a night on the hook with lights, fridge (12v), TV, fans, etc. If you want to use any high power drawing appliances (AC, water heater, stove, etc.), you'll need to fire up your gen. I use 6-volt batteries because they are lighter and get them from Stephens Battery Warehouse in Annapolis.

You probably already know this but if you want AC off your house battery bank, you'll need an inverter.

Sorry I can't recommend anyone to do the work on the Bay, set-up came with the boat.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Diesel generators

Post by mike66 »

We have a westerbeke 8.0BTD that is run 1 hr twice a day, coinciding with am coffee, micro, hot water and then pm hot water, battery charging, etc. House battery bank is 2 4D. Definitely will convert to golf cart when these die. I improved my charge time a lot by connecting my batteries to the genny start battery while also using the 30 amp Truecharge.
Bottom line, that size works well for us. Don't know a thing about different brands. My one caution is that you keep it accessible.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”